Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

froze cans of beer

Options
  • 21-07-2004 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

i froze over 20 cans of beer last week, should i drink or dump???

when they thawed out,the cans had lost pressure, but when i shoook them it returned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

What did it taste like? If it was drinkable then keep it otherwise give it to unwelcome houseguests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

someone once told me that freezing beer kills off some of the alcohol content.

give them to a recovering alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Originally posted by tman
    someone once told me that freezing beer kills off some of the alcohol content.

give them to a recovering alcoholic

They were yanking your chain. If you heated it maybe there would be a loss in strength (as alcohol evaporates at 76 degrees IIRC). But freezing will have no effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

mmm 20 beer icepops

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

Drink them when they are frozen. The alchol doesnt freeze and becomes very pure youl get completly wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Yep, going blind is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I drank the slush out of six cans of frozen Grolsh and nearly went insane. I guess it was almost pure alcohol - I ended up sleeping in a car 'cos my wife wouldn't let me in the house.

In answer to your question - provided the cans didn't burst and the beer tastes ok - go for it.....Ask yourself 'What would Homer do?'...!!

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Time for the science bit..... Cans of lager contain around 4 to 5% alcohol, so even if the freezing process actually resulted in a complete partitioning of the alcohol for the other beer components, you're not going to get any more alcohol than you would if you drank all the beer - a 330ml can would contain no more than 16mls or so of ethanol - teaspoon kinda volumes. Plus, it would be absorbed into your bloodstream slower as the area for contact in your stomach would be much reduced.

Secondly, given the low concentration, all that amount of alcohol will do is reduce the freezing point of the liquid, probably to -2 degrees or so. Any slush is probably just water crystals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by ArthurG
    Time for the science bit..... Cans of lager contain around 4 to 5% alcohol, so even if the freezing process actually resulted in a complete partitioning of the alcohol for the other beer components, you're not going to get any more alcohol than you would if you drank all the beer - a 330ml can would contain no more than 16mls or so of ethanol - teaspoon kinda volumes. Plus, it would be absorbed into your bloodstream slower as the area for contact in your stomach would be much reduced.

Secondly, given the low concentration, all that amount of alcohol will do is reduce the freezing point of the liquid, probably to -2 degrees or so. Any slush is probably just water crystals.

so the moral of the story is to drink lots of whiskey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I've drank thawed out cans before. Didn't taste any different, no ill effects. So dear god man don't throw out the beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With alcohol, it's very little to do with the amount, and a lot more to do with the concentration. all the alcohol in a can of beer poured down in one go, aside from its taste, would be absorbed extremely quickly (given it's small size), and 3, maybe 4 of these would knock you down, something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Originally posted by seamus
    With alcohol, it's very little to do with the amount, and a lot more to do with the concentration. all the alcohol in a can of beer poured down in one go, aside from its taste, would be absorbed extremely quickly (given it's small size), and 3, maybe 4 of these would knock you down, something serious.

Er, not sure about that..... you will get drunk quicker drinking pints of beer than shorts (given the same quantity of alcohol in both). This is because the surface area in your stomach available to absorb alcohol is much greater with beer given its volume. So the amount does have a big impact.
    And as per point above, its unlikely you got 100% ethanol in the can, as it would freeze at that temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

thanks for all your help lads

the beer will be drunk

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Er, not sure about that..... you will get drunk quicker drinking pints of beer than shorts (given the same quantity of alcohol in both). This is because the surface area in your stomach available to absorb alcohol is much greater with beer given its volume. So the amount does have a big impact.
    But your stomach also has to contend with the water in beer. Given that there's less volume in a spirit than a can of beer (assuming there's the same amount of alcohol in the two quantities), then 40ml of vodka will be dispensed with far quicker than 500ml of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

and beer gives you a big belly because of the maltose in it, which is the sugar that is absorbed the fastest and stored as fat...so watch out for those growing tubs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

But a pint of beer has more alcohol in it than a shot of vodka or whiskey. 40% of 35.5ml = 14.2 ml whereas 4.5% of 568 mls (1 pint) = 25.56 ml of alcohol. So obviously a pints will have more of an affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

hmmm..i don't know..this always used to confuse me in chemistry, concentrations and all that. i guess you could use ribena as an analogy......lets say you have a shot glass of pure ribena,no water added....does that have a greater concentration than say a pint glass of 2 shots ribena and the rest water? hmm some calculations are needed...........vodka is 40% v/v..which means 40 ml of ethanol per 100ml of water..whereas beer is 4%v/v ..4ml of ethanol per 100ml water..where does this take us?? .... a pint glass is roughly 556 ml say, so thats 556/100=5.56 x 4=22.24 ml ethanol.....and a shot glass is roughly 50 ml so thats 50/100=.5x40=20ml......tell me if this is wrong as i always seem to mix those things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

plus with the beer you have to factor in the impact of the bubbles, compare champagne with wine for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ok lads, settle down.

Alcohol is not absorbed in your stomach - that job goes to your intestines.
    munkeehaven your calculations in theory are correct - but the volumes are incorrect - a shot is 35.5ml AFAIK, a pint is 568ml (but in this case it was cans of beer - so 500ml or 330ml).
    uberwolf - the bubbles they do nothing.

The alcohol won't separate from the water upon freezing. Anything you drink will most likely be 4-5% the same as in its original state.

I remember drinking once frozen beer - tasted a little flat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by RE*AC*TOR

uberwolf - the bubbles they do nothing.

I thought that champagne got you drunker, quicker because of the bubbles. Also drinking from a straw worked for some similar reason :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

and what would be the scientific explanation?
    The carbon dioxide will merely make you belch.
    Drinking through a straw might make you drunker if it makes you drink faster?

Advertisement