Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S3 stuck in Boot Loop

• 24-05-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

EDIT - GOT THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO HOLD VOLUME UP AND THE OTHER BUTTONS, SHOULD GET SORTED NOW....

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out, this is doing my nut

Vodafone S3, international version obv, was down the country and it decided that it was time to update the firmware, inernet connection was poor but I didn't realise this might be a problem

Anyway, whatever happened the phone became really unstable, very slow, applications kept crashing, battery was being eaten by Android system about 5 times faster than normal, phone was very hot as a result

Even more annoying I couldn't download any backup apps as Google play kept crashing

Managed to get a backup app emailed to me and backed up some of the app data though it remains to see if I can restore

Anyway, decided to root it, did it following online guides using Odin and clockwork mod, went fine, copied photos and vids off phone then tried to restore factory settings using the settings restore option on Android, it did this but then refused to update the software because I had modified the phone. Thanks vodafone / google. The only reason I modified the phone is because you broke it.

I had used clockwork mod to preserve the existing (i.e. crashing ROM) and succeded in re-installing this but was obviously stuck with effectively non functioning phone. Also used clockwork mod to just restore some of my settings (as opposed to the full mod) but it was still crashing

Anyhow, decided to install a new ROM, first one I tried was purelook HD, downloaded from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2174644

Managed to install it after a lot of hassle, was a 1 gig file. For some reason I was still getting crashing messages though, dropbox for instance just kept crashing

Assumed that this was because it was building on the existing ROM so I chose another one, Cyanogenmod 10

I think this is where I went wrong

Basically, when I booted up purelook HD for some reason there was no clockwork mod app on the phone. I think this may have been becasue purelook gave me loads of options when installing it and maybe it installed a different Kernal (i don't know anything about this I'm just guessing) There was some kind of superuser app on the phone but it seemed to have a different icon to the ones previously. However, when you pressed and held power off on purelook HD you got an option to reboot in recovery mode. When I did this it effectively loaded clockwork mod. I then chose to install CM10 but I didn't wipe the existing phone

Now when I boot the phone the CM10 icon appears with the swirling meter but it never goes away. I've left phone for over half an hour and it doesn't make progress. It seems from reading online that this is because I didn't wipe the old data first. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get back into clockwork mod to do this any more. When I hold the volume down, home and power buttons it brings me into the original ROM download option that it displayed when I first rooted the phone.

As such I can't figure out how to get back into clockwork mod and boot the old image ROM, or clear purelook HD off it.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I assume there's a way of doing it through Odin?

Advertisement