Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have EEE PC?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Thinking of buying one of these increasing popular mini EEE laptops, primarily for surfing the web.

Are they so small that they become quite awkward and fiddily to use? The screen does seem a little too small for surfing the web.

Possibly I would be better off buy a budget 15.4 inch laptop which maybe more "useable"

What do you think? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I don't own one but a mate does and although he loves it, I think the smarter move is to buy a cheap laptop at 15.4" or 13" screen size.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well it comes down what you want out of a laptop/netbook? Do you need it to be extremely mobile? Do you want it for limited tasks? Will it be a secondary machine?
    If your answers to this are no, then a larger/higher spec'd laptop would probably be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dont own one but ive had the headache to replace linux with xp on it without a usb cd drive. Thats a <PAIN> to do, but the computer itself is great, handy little thing to have. Thought the buttons would be too fiddely but it all worked great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I have one, also have a Dell Studio and an Acer netbook.

The little ee pc is excellent little machine for the net on the move etc.

Only negative thing i find is keyboard is small specially if your a grown man.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

I have an EEE PC 1000 so thats the 10" one. Fantastic little machine. I love it. The keyboard is grand just takes a little getting use to. ;)
    Dont own one but ive had the headache to replace linux with xp on it without a usb cd drive. Thats a <PAIN> to do, but the computer itself is great, handy little thing to have. Thought the buttons would be too fiddely but it all worked great for me.
    You can also buy them with xp preinstalled. There are a few how-tos floating round the net on how to install with a usb memory stick or sd memory card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I set up one for a friend, he's using it mainly as a gps system and notebook for the train. Its a lovely little thing but I would only use it as a secondary machine. The new sub sub notebook market is opening up nicely, the eee pc is not the only one out there:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/12/rh_bg_netbooks/
    So maybe you could find one that suitd your needs out of that lot.

On linux its a great way to get used to the distro of your choice and if you use an external cd drive with nlite installing XP is nice n' easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have one for work but find it too small to use as an ordinary laptop, drives me mad browsing on it, its just too small for everyday use, buy a laptop

Advertisement