Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Travel Laptop UMPC

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Listening to: Rory Gallagher - Livin' Like A Trucker via FoxyTunesI was looking for a cheap ol' laptop that is lightweight and compact that i can bring travelling with me (going travelling around the world for a year) and figure if it's small and light it will make my life a hell of a lot easier!

I spotted the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (click here) and I'm impressed. It's pretty much everything I need, except it doesn't have a CD drive / burner. I'm gonna be using this for writing my blog on the go, pretying emails that i can send later from an internet café and to burn photos from my camera to CD to post home (so i won't have to find an internet café everytime my SD card fills!)

If I were to buy this along with a USB-powered External CD/DVD burner, would it fit what I'm looking for above? I'd need to install the software from the DVD drive, but i presume that can be done by connecting the drive up?

These are two possibilities for the drive: an LG one (click here) and a Plextor one (click here)

What are your thoughts and advice? Portability and weight are the major factors!

Listening to: Daft Punk - Short Circuit via FoxyTunes

Advertisement