Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the XPS going to be discontinued

Options
  • 24-11-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a Dell XPS M1530
    but I read in a thread somewhere that it was going to be discontinued in October/November. Does anyone know is this true?
    I don't want to get one if it is going to be out of date soon

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think they changed their minds on this. Even if they did, there would still be nothing out of date about the laptop. It would still be just as powerful as it was before and it would still be covered by warranty. I never understood why people were wary of buying end of line products because they will be out dated. The laptop will be no different whether they discontinue it afterwards or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've read through a disproportionate number of problem threads here relating to the XPS M1000 line. I don't think I'd ever buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Overheal wrote: »
    I've read through a disproportionate number of problem threads here relating to the XPS M1000 line.
    The M1330 undoubtably has had trouble with its GPU. I don't think you're going to be able to back up the rest of your statement, there are no widespread problems relating to the XPS M1530, M1730, M1710, M1210, M170.
    I was thinking of getting a Dell XPS M1530
    but I read in a thread somewhere that it was going to be discontinued in October/November. Does anyone know is this true?
    Its inevitable that all models will be discontinued and replaced eventually (:pac: ), so considering the M1530 is almost a year old and based on the old Santa Rosa platform, its not a longshot to predict its going to be discontinued soon, or updated.

Current rumours suggest a XPS 1340 and 1640 being launched soon, and those model numbers have surfaced in recent Dell documents, driver compatibility, accessory lists etc. If they're not out now, I don't think they would hit the market by Xmas, and if that's the case, Dell probably arent going to announce anything before then because it would spoil the sales of their current models.

If you see a good deal on the M1530 I would go for it; if you sit on your hands in the computer market, you might as well sit on them forever, because there is always something 'newer/better' just around the corner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The M1330 undoubtably has had trouble with its GPU. I don't think you're going to be able to back up the rest of your statement, there are no widespread problems relating to the XPS M1530, M1730, M1710, M1210, M170.

It's not just the gpu, I've read quite a few bad reports about other areas of the laptop which is a shame as it's a nice piece of kit and if I was looking at a 13" laptop at the moment it would be on the list. These problems would probably knock it down a notch or two though. I have to agree with you on the other models though, I haven't noticed any stand out big problems with any others in the range apart from the nvidia gpu thingey which these models seemed to have escaped relatively problem free from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

[QUOTE I never understood why people were wary of buying end of line products because they will be out dated. The laptop will be no different whether they discontinue it afterwards or not.[/QUOTE]

The depreciation on this sort of kit is SO savage that buying an end of line product at anything less than a giveaway price is crazy.Fact is that cheeky multinationals like Dell/Toyota (really pulled it off well with Avensis a few years ago)try and get top whack for their products until practically the very last second.You will be lied to your face about replacements arrival date in many cases.I would assume XPS 1530 has months to live !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A friend who works in Dell told me yesterday that the entire XPS range is to be discontinued in the new year, in favour of the Alienware brand (which Dell bought a few years ago). They have the XPS range and Alienware competing directly with one another, which makes no sense whatsoever.......

Btw- Alienware look sexy as hell- and have a great reputation, but are just too damn expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A laptop will always get outdated, as will any pc or gadget for that matter. Who cares if its discontinued, its not like a car that might need spare parts in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A laptop will always get outdated, as will any pc or gadget for that matter. Who cares if its discontinued, its not like a car that might need spare parts in the future.

Its not the laptop itself which is being discontinued- its the entire XPS brand and range- in favour of the Alienware Brand and Range. No more XPS- at all....

Advertisement