Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved in - heating not working

Options
  • 30-09-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Just bought an apartment last week and are trying to get everything up and running. Apartment has an immersion for hot water, a gas fire and (presumably) gas central heating system. When we first walked in, immersion was already set to On and Bath, but cylinder was cold. Gas fire worked straightaway, but when turned on the heating at the control panel (beside the mantelpiece), nothing happened.

Went to pipes in hot press, there are 4 - one of which (second from right) has a valve handle on and tag reading "Heating". Opened this fully, could hear water coming through and hot water cylinder started heating up. There's another valve handle just sitting on the shelf - should this be connected to one of the other pipes?

Going back to the central heating, below the control panel there is an access panel, essentially beside the gas fire, which we removed and could see the pump inside. To the left there's a pressure gauge with red and black needles - red between 2 & 3 and black at about 1.5 (it was at zero before opening the valve in the hot press). Have tried turning off/on heating at the control panel but no response. It's a Wilo Star RS 25/4 pump. I can only see two things which can be adjusted - a lever which can be set to either Auto or Man (was set to Auto when we found it), and a red dial which seems to have 3 settings (about 1 o'clock, 3 o'clock or 5 o'clock as you're looking at it) but no writing. This was/is set to the "1 o'clock" setting. I can't find access to an actual boiler - I suspect it may be behind the fire?

Can anyone help as to how to get this going?

Advertisement