Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing new shower base

• 30-09-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Three questions re installing a new shower base

1. I took up my old shower base recently and the waste water pipe coming from it cracked so I'll need to replace when I put in the new base. I can connect a new pipe from the main waste pipe to just underneath the shower base hole, my question is though, how do I connect this pipe into the base knowing that I wont be able to get my hands underneath to screw it in? I'm hoping that you can connect\screw the base to the waste water pipe from the top...sorry,I may not be describing my question very well here..

I've added a crudely drawn diagram of my thoughts..

2. Assuming I can do this, how could I then check for leaks because presumably the base will be placed and set on mortar at that stage and the hole in the wooden floor is under the base

3. In terms of placement of the base, should it go against plasterboard (i'll be tanking the area appropriately) or do i cut the height of the shower base out of the plasterboard and push the base in under the plasterboard (i've seen some videos of people doing this), or does it matter?

Thanks a million for any comments!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

A shower trap is designed to be screwed from the top so make sure you get a decent one. Dry run to check it all lines up. You need to set the shower base in a mortar mix so it is fully supported and bonded obviously keeping it away from the waste hole. 4 hands are better than 2 when laying the base as you want to drop it down not push it against the wall and get a ridge of mortar preventing a tight fit. I would always use a thin bead of sealant around the trap to ensure no leaks and then screw it up tight.
    Do not cut the plaster board! Any leaks will leak into the plaster and ruin it. Use some waterproofing sealer around the bottom few inches if you want to but just make sure there is an even gap between the wall and shower base. Run a bead of mastic between the base and the wall board and push this tight. Then run a bead of mastic along the gap on top of the first bead so any water will not run into the gap. Then you tile down onto the shower base leaving a small gap for your waterproof grout. That should give you quite a thick seal under the bottom tiles. If the base is done correctly it will not move so no leaks.
    Make sure the base is level all over so any water runs away correctly. Also worth checking there is a fall on the waste pipe!!

Advertisement