Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphys Whiskey getting notions...?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Ah Dunphys. Foundation of many's an Irish coffee, chapest of the chape, less complexity than a cup of tea. And as long as I've been old enough to buy booze, it's been loyally hovering around that tempting, impulse friendly price point of 19.99.

- Until now. In the last year alone, it seems to have floated up to about 23 euro in my local offie and 26 (!) in the SuperCentraLondis around the corner. Many in this forum have noticed the gradual creeping up of the big three supermarket available brands, but this one in particular seems to take the cake. Going up in price is one thing, but taking that kind of leap in such a short time seems fairly gutsy seeing as the one thing it had going for it was that was dirt cheap. Not only has it now crossed the magical psychological twenty euro threshold, it's actually within shouting distance of far more drinkable brands with far better name recognition.

Seems pretty brassy. I think that makes the cheapest theoretically drinkable whiskey out there now Aldi Clontarf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Excise increases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

All whiskies are gone mad, decent ones like Green spot and Redbreast 12 have gone up 50% in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

buck65 wrote: »
    All whiskies are gone mad, decent ones like Green spot and Redbreast 12 have gone up 50% in 5 years.

Yeah, but I can sort of imagine how a premium product can get away with it. Dunphys though is swill. The kind of swill I'm not beyond, don't get me wrong, but at 26 euro it's now on par with Jameson or Powers, thanks to Dunnes promotions. Literally all Dunphys had going for it was the price point, and now it's at least the price of a pint beyond its former competitors. It just seems like a very bold move out of their old weight class.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's all supply and demand, you'll probably see the price of Jameson and Powers creep up now.

Advertisement