Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US ends 'war on drugs'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Did they win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'd like to see Ireland take a more rational approach but we'll more than likely do nothing. 'If we don't aknowledge the problem it doesn't exist' mentality.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Did they died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Let's see them end the 'war on terror' next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

war on bs more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Christopher Coke is still on the loose, no deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What will the reprecussions here?
    The drugs can finally come home, their war is over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A very progressive move in my opinion. Their policy of crop spraying in foreign countries was disaterous, not only for the human cost, which has resulted in birth defects in children, but also it's abject failure in reducing the supply of drugs to the States. Rather than facilitating a decline the narcotic industry, they witnessed an enormous acceleration over the past two decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

funk-you wrote: »
    I'd like to see Ireland take a more rational approach but we'll more than likely do nothing. 'If we don't aknowledge the problem it doesn't exist' mentality.

-Funk

In other words, an irish solution to an irish problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they ended it because they control it

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Christopher Coke is still on the loose, no deal!

What a great name for a drug kingpin

He didnt really have much choice did he, drug kingpin of soft drink CEO

So does this mean the millions of young non violent drug offenders in America are gonna be let out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Superbus wrote: »
    Did they win?

They lost.

H-DrugsWin_400x400_2_jpg_400x400_upscale_q85.jpg

At last we have peace man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Good for you, America. You're starting to act rationally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

syklops wrote: »
    In other words, an irish solution to an irish problem.

Cliché Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

hopefully they'll now fully legalise - or at least decriminalise - mj, they're well on the way as it is but when it's fully acknowledged our politicians might act like the brainless, uninspired lapdogs they are and follow suit...in a decade or more

but seriously, it looks like the current UK government might have a progressive stance on drug issues too - so it could be as close as we've been to some objective thinking on the issues in a very long time.

war on drugs = failed. duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

What will the reprecussions here?

Well the so called "war on drugs" was a complete failure but it did have a few desired effects. It allowed for the complete militarization of law enforcement in the US. It's not uncommon to see police tanks now. 50 years ago a couple of burly beat cops would be sent to break up a bar fight. Now you get this kind of response to a fracas amongst tweenies when a boyband appears at a mall:

http://www.mindformation.com/brookdale_disturbance.html

Note the stupid cünt in the camouflage helmet. Absolute fücking tool.

Also the war on drugs allowed for al lot of money to be made by filling up prisons with non-violent offenders for years, privatising those prisons but having the taxpayer pay for them. Much the same way that much of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan is privatised but joe schmuck foots the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I wouldnt call americas war on drugs a failure they once, caught a group of notourious drug dealers with 75 ton of thi stick. and it tuck them another ten years to catch the organiser's...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they start a war on obesity next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

biko wrote: »

Offer free liposuction to all the porkers and blimps, then convert the fat into oil. solve the obesity and energy problems in one go. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Was always going to happen. [/War on communism] -> [war on drugs] [/war on drugs] -> [war on terror] [/war on terror] -> [?]. I mean you gotta war against something right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

biko wrote: »
    I hear it's already begun. Unused high intensity cattle farms are being converted into concentration camps by changing the sign on the front gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you read the Article in the OP it implies the War on Drugs refers to the Supply Chain, ie. Opium Crops in Afghanistan etc.

The Obama Administration has increased the Demand Reduction budget by 6.5% at the same time.
    The Obama administration is increasing its budget for demand reduction by 6.5%, bringing it to $5.6 billion (€4.5bn). But the US is still spending $15.5bn on supply reduction.

Mr Kerlikowske said internationally, the US was focusing less on crop eradication in Afghanistan and Columbia.

He said the aim in Afghanistan was now on encouraging farmers to grow alternative crops.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/us-ends-war-on-drugs-120778.html#ixzz0p3CfZp00

This simply means they are looking away from the Supply and focusing on defeating the Demand.

This does not mean any drugs will be legalized. It just represents a shift in Stratagem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It is interesting to compare the version he gave the Irish, with the version the Americans are hearing. (Or not hearing, because I didn't hear anything about it on the all-news station I listen to)

Here's the Wall Street Journal version, from less than two weeks ago.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124225891527617397.html
    WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration's new drug czar says he wants to banish the idea that the U.S. is fighting "a war on drugs,"

<snip>

The drug czar doesn't have the power to enforce any of these changes himself, but Mr. Kerlikowske plans to work with Congress and other agencies to alter current policies. He said he hasn't yet focused on U.S. policy toward fighting drug-related crime in other countries.

<snip>

Mr. Kerlikowske said the issue was one of limited police resources, adding that he doesn't support efforts to legalize drugs.

So here's the issue. He tells the Irish "I ended the war", yet the DEA is not under his purview, and neither has congress, to my knowledge, made any changes to the relevant laws (To include the budget appropriations),especially not in the last 12 days since the WSJ article. Either there is a mis-reporting somewhere, or he has slightly exaggerated the situation.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

YES!!! Drugs win! The victory parade will be whenever, in y'know, that place.

Overheal wrote: »
    This simply means they are looking away from the Supply and focusing on defeating the Demand.

As long as they go about it the right way, that is exactly what they should be doing, trying to reduce the demand. Fair play, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

I wonder will they release all the P.O.W.s now, (about 1,500,000 in the States).

Abrasax wrote: »
    I wonder will they release all the P.O.W.s now, (about 1,500,000 in the States).

Enemy combatants, not POW's......so that would be a no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Howard Marks would be pleased ;)

Advertisement