Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher Who Beat Student With A Dumbell Avoids Jail( Not A Daily Mail Report)

• 24-05-2010 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

No matter how much a little ****e the student was this was a horrible assault.

rte.ie
    A teacher who snapped and bludgeoned a disruptive pupil with a dumbbell while shouting 'die, die, die' has been spared jail and given a two-year community order.

Peter Harvey, 50, attacked the 14-year-old boy at All Saints' Roman Catholic School in the Nottinghamshire region of England last July after repeatedly being taunted by pupils in his science class.

Last month, a jury at Nottingham Crown Court took just an hour to clear Harvey of attempting to murder the boy or intending to cause him serious injury.

The married father of two had earlier admitted causing grievous bodily harm without intent.

The jury accepted his barrister's claims that his pupils had driven him over the edge and that he did not know what he was doing, the Press Association reported.

The court heard pupils at the school were trying to wind up Harvey so his reaction could be caught on a camcorder being used secretly by a girl in the class.

The footage was then to be passed around the school as a way of 'humiliating' Harvey.

When the boy swore at him, Harvey dragged him out of the classroom and launched the attack.

The boy suffered a fractured skull and has since lost some hearing in his right ear.

Passing sentence, Judge Michael Stokes said: 'On any view this is a tragic case.

'You are a thoroughly decent man and for well over 20 years you have been a dedicated and successful school teacher.

'The incident involving the 14-year-old boy whom you assaulted was brought about, I have no doubt, by a number of factors combining together and producing in you a quite disproportionate reaction to misbehaviour, abuse and rank disobedience by him and some of his classmates.'

'In previous years you would have handled this easily and professionally but in July of last year you were far from well.

'You were undoubtedly suffering from depression, stress and a serious lack of confidence.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thats old news man.

still its a pity he didnt hit the little **** harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

RTE have it in their headlines:confused:

I think the sentence was announced today?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0524/harveyp.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, the child was giving loads of abuse towards the teacher. The teacher obviously had some problems and the students were well aware of this. However, the student was only a child and he now has permanant hearing damage. It is quite easy for people to be coersed into doing something through peer pressure. He does sound like a nasty litlle s.hit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I was hoping he wouldn't be charged with it.

The little cheeky scumbag will know better next time, won't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

little ****ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If you can't handle scumbag kids, don't become a teacher.

If something happens that impairs your ability to deal with them, take time off, get help.

If one of them keeps mouthing off to get a reaction. DON'T HIT HIM WITH A DUMBELL!

Good God man, that's beyond nuts. A teacher should be a role model, and not react like a teenager to abuse. Detention, suspension and expulsion are there, this was a terrible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This is one of the stranger stories I've read recently, HTF did he get away with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pfft, if it was in a Catholic school over here it wouldn't have been his head he went for with a dumbbell.

How many years would the kid have got if he battered the teacher with a dumbell shouting DIE DIE DIE, that's what I'd like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

zimovain wrote: »
    How many years would the kid have got if he battered the teacher with a dumbell shouting DIE DIE DIE, that's what I'd like to know.

He's 14, so almost certainly none.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    He's 14, so almost certainly none.

Not even a young offenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If anyone gave a teacher grief in my old scool, they'd get sent to the principal, given detention, or suspended for a while.

I'd say the teachers days are numbered. I'd say he'll be found dead in some isolated spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Why were there dumb bells in the science lab anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

If you can't handle scumbag kids, don't become a teacher.

Detention, suspension and expulsion
    are there, this was a terrible thing to do.

Hahahahahahah!

Yea.. as if any of those would work on brats like him.

You can't really do much when a kid won't comply. And like you said, you obviously can't hit them with a dumbell... You can't leave the room even to get another member of staff to back you up due to insurance purposes. When a kid realises he's on a power trip, and the others cop on to this your class room management will fall apart like a house of cards. I completely empathise with his stress, helplessness, feeling of victimisation and sheer "snapping" in the moment.

Poor guy, that kid sounds like a little ****er.

Most teachers don't have to deal with scumbags, but it's the luck of the draw. One bad apple. I teach inner city so see a lot of that unruly & dysfunctional boys. No punishment will work on some of these. Teachers have no power except for an authoratative voice and disapproving stare. Once the pupils realise you can't actually "do" anything you're ****ed.

But yea, sometimes when they are just shouting in your face or pushing their weight around or whatever you'd love to see an older kid give them a smack in the jaw. This fella had it coming to him. Shame it was from a teacher. That's his reputation & career ruined I'd imagine.

PS. It's very very difficult to get a child expelled. Next to impossible in primary school, they'd maybe eventually be sent to a SEN school and labelled as ODD :rolleyes:.

/biased post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Eh, I'm sorry?
    The student SWORE at the teacher and was winding him up..
    this warrants this kind of attack?
    No..no it doesn't.

The teacher was a fúcking eejit with no self control, that's all.
    If you can't deal with students like that then get the fúck out..it's not meant to be an easy job.
    Teacher deserves jail time at the very least.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

SV wrote: »
    Eh, I'm sorry?
    The student SWORE at the teacher and was winding him up..
    this warrants this kind of attack?
    No..no it doesn't.

The teacher was a fúcking eejit with no self control, that's all.
    If you can't deal with students like that then get the fúck out..it's not meant to be an easy job.
    Teacher deserves jail time at the very least.

I doubt it was a one off incident, from experience the teacher was probably suffering abuse all year.

I doubt it was a one off incident, from experience the teacher was probably suffering abuse all year.

Doesn't matter whatsoever, he should have dealt with it another way.
    To let it break him down and result in this just shows how unprofessional he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Glad that the teacher didn't go to jail and i am so happy for him. These scumbags need a lesson and that will serve them not to mess with other people. Its a shame that people comments saying the teacher is at fault, should take time off work, couldn't deal with students like that. Of course plenty of them will blame the teacher and not these scumbags. Wish it happen in Ireland as there are plenty scumbags in the school here too who need a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The teacher will never work again and will lose out financially. He is NOT a winner in this situation.

The student has learned the hard way what can happen when disrespectful to another person, and has hopefully changed for the better.

kelle wrote: »
    The teacher will never work again and will lose out financially. He is NOT a winner in this situation.

That's true but he deserves far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

zimovain wrote: »
    No matter how much a little ****e the student was this was a horrible assault.

rte.ie

There is a conversation about this case on George Hook's show this minute (they're talking about Irish teachers as well as teachers generally being "ticking timebombs" because of discipline issues):

http://www.newstalk.ie/

Glad that the teacher didn't go to jail and i am so happy for him. These scumbags need a lesson and that will serve them not to mess with other people. Its a shame that people comments saying the teacher is at fault, should take time off work, couldn't deal with students like that. Of course plenty of them will blame the teacher and not these scumbags. Wish it happen in Ireland as there are plenty scumbags in the school here too who need a lesson.

They don't need a bloody beating with a dumbell. Overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They don't need a bloody beating with a dumbell. Overkill.

Some of them very much do. A friends wife is a teaching aide of some sort in a primary school in Dublin. The other day a kid swung a hurl at a teacher, stopping just short of her head.

Discipline in schools has swung from one extreme to the other over the last 30 years. Theres schools full of kids running wild with no proper discipline and it's comtinueing in to adulthood.

Advertisement