Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The internet a hundred years from now

Options
  • 18-06-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Just something I have been thinking about lately. Will the webpages of today be available to the future generations? Will people be able to see old websites that have been forgotten about and unchanged for many years? Take forums for example, will people in a hundred years time be able to see our opinions on events of today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

This crowd might still be going then: http://www.archive.org/index.php

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lobster wrote: »
    Just something I have been thinking about lately. Will the webpages of today be available to the future generations? Will people be able to see old websites that have been forgotten about and unchanged for many years? Take forums for example, will people in a hundred years time be able to see our opinions on events of today?

With the cost of storage becoming ridiculously cheap, I would imagine so. Archiving the entirity of boards in 100 years will probably only cost a few cent, if in fact forums like this still exist then.

The shift to digital (from physical, like paper) does leave the possibility of not having a record of course. If you stop having the ability to (for example) decode mp3's, or read from cd's, or whatever, then all that information is lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Lobster wrote: »
    Will the webpages of today be available to the future generations? Will people be able to see old websites that have been forgotten about and unchanged for many years? Take forums for example, will people in a hundred years time be able to see our opinions on events of today?

your great grandson : computer .. did you know my great grandfather ?

computer: Why yes he had many alias's.. would you like to read some of his posts?

your great grandson : read ? .. estimate his character and introduce me during rec time in the holodeck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I think it will something which none of us can imagen. Look at the past 100 years advancments or even the last 30 years the next 100 will be some special if we can avoid blowing our selves up.

Advertisement