Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenya: woman attacked and stripped by mob for wearing a short dress

• 08-07-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

There are some barbarians out there.

The TV reporter seems to be one of them, judging by this wording: "Amazingly, the lady did not seem remorseful when she was being sneaked out"

The woman was attacked and stripped and she should feel remorseful?

All these people who treat women as subhuman - and there are so many of them - belong to the darkest of the dark ages. The very thought of attitudes towards women by millions of Indians, Pakistanis, Afghans and Islamic fundamentalists makes me despair for the future awaiting hundreds of millions of women on our planet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

So for wearing a short skirt, they strip her and reveal more?

/logic

These people [Africans still retaining their 'tribal' thinking], and Islamic states for that matter [which Kenya isn't btw], will ALWAYS remain backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Actually, the predominant religion in Kenya is Christianity. So hardly an Islamic state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some of those lads should visit Harcourt street on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Actually, the predominant religion in Kenya is Christianity. So hardly an Islamic state.

I don't believe anybody said it is an Islamic state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This happens alot in Africa. Only found out about it a few years ago myself.
    From what I gathered there is a bit of generation gap going on in certain parts.

Most fathers don't let their daughters wear certain dresses even (the kind of dress that, we over here, would not even view as "slutty" one bit just a normal dress!) But the west is coming to africa. Sure many a Nigerian person watches american tv shows and movies, it's crazy :pac: But along with that comes the change of culture.

This is the change. Extreme change of course. Willing to strip a woman of her clothing in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BeerWolf wrote: »
    These people [Africans still retaining their 'tribal' thinking]
    I don't know that it's specifically traditional African tribal doctrine, remember some tribes don't even wear much clothes. I think it's imported ideology from Christians and Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    I don't believe anybody said it is an Islamic state.

Before BeerWolf edited his post (which was when I typed up my own), it read, I believe, 'these Islamic states'. I was responding to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

did the guy at 1:10 fall off his bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People who go on about how other countries react at present have a very poor understanding of Ireland and our own history.

It is was common practice to ostracise a member of the community for going against a local priest. Woman had children taken off them and given up for adoption against their will. Children were used as forced labour. It really isn't that long ago and within the life time of people about today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    People who go on about how other countries react at present have a very poor understanding of Ireland and our own history.

It is was common practice to ostracise a member of the community for going against a local priest. Woman had children taken off them and given up for adoption against their will. Children were used as forced labour. It really isn't that long ago and within the life time of people about today

Yes yes yes but we're talking about foreigners.. It's TOTALLY different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know that it's specifically traditional African tribal doctrine, remember some tribes don't even wear much clothes. I think it's imported ideology from Christians and Muslims.

"Tribal" in the sense of the importance of "honour" and "respect", and the willingness to use humiliation, violence and exclusion to uphold such honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The thing about climbing up the social ladder is that you have no choice but to look down on those beneath you. scoff..
    goose2005 wrote: »
    "Tribal" in the sense of the importance of "honour" and "respect", and the willingness to use humiliation, violence and exclusion to uphold such honour.
    Tribes tend to be small enough groups that share the workload, I'm not saying they don't do those things but I don't think it's part of traditional tribal culture in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

If any of this had been in today's papers, plenty of people would go on about it. If anything, the general view against the RCC has moved to the far end of the spectrum in terms of criticism. So, I don't think it's true to say Irish people ignore the abuses of women here by either the RCC or ignorant, backward men.

Also, even 800 years ago in Ireland women had more rights in many respects - particularly regarding land ownership - than women have in so many countries today. To say women in these countries are being treated in a medieval way does the middle ages a disservice in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Nevertheless I believe there is still a sizeable Muslim population.

And areas of Nairobi such as Eastleigh are just like being in Mogadishu.

That said, Christians are more than capable of such backward thinking and intolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

This sort of thing is common place in third world countries. Every day people are murdered and beaten to death for going against the religious beliefs or local norms of a country. Lynch mobs are common place too that just beat criminals to death on the street, 30+ people, and nobody bats an eye lid. No police response, no ambulance, no justice.

They still burn "witches" at the stake in many countries. The world is a horrible horrible place, and luckily we're sheltered from all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Makes me glad that I live in a relatively civilised country.

That's medieval shit that is.

Advertisement