Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death to the..

Options
  • 08-07-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭

Sports updates on radios!

They are completely redundant now. Anyone who wants to know the score in a match can check on their phone, text a mate or whatever.

Updates only now serve as an annoyance when you are out and about, in a shop or driving, and you have to switch off or stick your fingers in your ears and appear like a looney in a shop (or if you are driving, crash the car)

A lot of people record programmes, beit MoTD or a GP and knowing the result before you watch it is a right pain in the hole.

F**k the Anglo tapes, this is more important!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Get rid of weather and news while you're at it OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Radio itself is going the way of the dodo, more's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You have music on your phone too , why not pull the radio out sure it cant provide you with anything your phone cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

What about when driving?

As far as I'm concerned car are what's keeping radio alive. Long live radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I know, it's unbelievable that a mass communication medium isn't tailored specifically to your needs and preferences.
    I turned on the TV last night and there were things other than The Walking Dead on. And as for the internet, it has loads of sites I dont like.
    We need to get this shit sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Guill wrote: »
    What about when driving?

As far as I'm concerned car are what's keeping radio alive. Long live radio.

In the final death throes as well.

Even my old Zetor has an iPod dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Get rid of weather and news while you're at it OP

The weather and the news are actually important though. Sport is just some glorified hobby.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Death to all humans!

In the final death throes as well.

Even my old Zetor has an iPod dock.

People have been able to play their own music in cars for years. Radio's provide Dj's, news, sports, chat and randomness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I know, it's unbelievable that a mass communication medium isn't tailored specifically to your needs and preferences.
    I turned on the TV last night and there were things other than The Walking Dead on. And as for the internet, it has loads of sites I dont like.
    We need to get this shit sorted

Its about spoilers. How would you like updates on the radio about what happens in an upcoming episode of the Walking Dead?

Generally speaking, the Radio is fine. I've no problem with Weather and news. Its not like you are going to tut when the news comes on and say "sheesh, I'm recording the news at 9 tonight - no point now though!"

A lot of sport isn't readily accessible to most folk, and by most folk I mean those that can't afford to fork out on Sky Sports (like me), so I tend to record the highlights. That's why sports updates are a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    Its about spoilers. How would you like updates on the radio about what happens in an upcoming episode of the Walking Dead?

Generally speaking, the Radio is fine. I've no problem with Weather and news. Its not like you are going to tut when the news comes on and say "sheesh, I'm recording the news at 9 tonight - no point now though!"

A lot of sport isn't readily accessible to most folk, and by most folk I mean those that can't afford to fork out on Sky Sports (like me), so I tend to record the highlights. That's why sports updates are a pain in the arse.

If Walking Dead spoilers came on the radio out of the blue with no warning i'd be pretty pissed off. If they came on, every hour, after the news, with a big jingle intro and plenty of warning I'd turn down the radio.
    In shopping centres and other public places the radio is never on that loudly and that clearly that you couldnt easily zone it out or just cover your ears. I mean if the results are so important to you that you're willing to post about it on Boards surely you'd be willing to spend a minute looking like a loon in a shop to avoid them.
    That's what I'd do if they had Walking Dead spoilers.

Death to all humans!

Death to the West!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Death to the Pixies!

I still find it useful to not have to actively go looking for scores, and frankly I can't always remember everything that's on anyway. Radio listenership is still fairly strong I think

Death to the Infidels.

I've yet to read a good argument for the destruction of radio.

Death to the Pixies!

I still find it useful to not have to actively go looking for scores, and frankly I can't always remember everything that's on anyway. Radio listenership is still fairly strong I think

I love the radio but what Ireland needs is more talk radio and less identikit stations spewing the same half a dozen pop songs 15 times a day over and over.
    We should also be using Irish radio to promote more unsigned or up and coming Irish bands, not consigning them to some half hour slot at 3 in the morning on 2XM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Why not turn off the radio during the sports update and not listen to sport radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP is a disgruntled Galway supporter

:P

If Walking Dead spoilers came on the radio out of the blue with no warning i'd be pretty pissed off. If they came on, every hour, after the news, with a big jingle intro and plenty of warning I'd turn down the radio.
    In shopping centres and other public places the radio is never on that loudly and that clearly that you couldnt easily zone it out or just cover your ears. I mean if the results are so important to you that you're willing to post about it on Boards surely you'd be willing to spend a minute looking like a loon in a shop to avoid them.
    That's what I'd do if they had Walking Dead spoilers.

Radios are on in people's houses and despite what you say, sometimes are broadcasting loudly in shops. Furthermore, they are on at different times on different stations so if you are flicking through the stations you can get caught out so you don't always know they are coming up.

Yes, I could and do look like a loon when I know they are on, but the point of the whole thing is, do the pros outweigh the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Death to all BUTT Metal!

By the way, LINK BELOW- NSFW or kids or anyone that could be mildy be offended by Sarah Silverman, Metal, Swearing, Awesome music...

http://youtu.be/yfB7vF7nCdA?t=2m58s

But this is funny... describes this thread... I think.

Also, Down with Radio - It can be so much more better.. but its not. Its dated 30's technology. What year am I in again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I couldn't possibly watch a sporting event that I recorded, hours after it has finished and I don't know the score. I'd have to find out who won.

So if you accidentally find out the score from a friend/radio or whatever, tough titty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sports updates on radios!

They are completely redundant now. Anyone who wants to know the score in a match can check on their phone, text a mate or whatever.

Updates only now serve as an annoyance when you are out and about, in a shop or driving, and you have to switch off or stick your fingers in your ears and appear like a looney in a shop (or if you are driving, crash the car)

A lot of people record programmes, beit MoTD or a GP and knowing the result before you watch it is a right pain in the hole.

F**k the Anglo tapes, this is more important!

And you wont crash the car checking your phone to get the score?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Death to the Eurovision and Hunky Dory Buffalo crisps.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Why not turn off the radio during the sports update and not listen to sport radio?

Who said anything about listening to sport radio? Its sports news on regular radio we're talking about
    listermint wrote: »
    OP is a disgruntled Galway supporter

:P

Dublin and proud ;)
    RikkFlair wrote: »
    I couldn't possibly watch a sporting event that I recorded, hours after it has finished and I don't know the score. I'd have to find out who won.

So if you accidentally find out the score from a friend/radio or whatever, tough titty!

So you never record MoTD then?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And you wont crash the car checking your phone to get the score?

:rolleyes:

Think you missed my point there...

Radios are on in people's houses and despite what you say, sometimes are broadcasting loudly in shops. Furthermore, they are on at different times on different stations so if you are flicking through the stations you can get caught out so you don't always know they are coming up.

Yes, I could and do look like a loon when I know they are on, but the point of the whole thing is, do the pros outweigh the cons.

Utter rubbish, there is no realistic scenario you could be in where you couldn't easily avoid hearing sports results on the radio.

Death to facebook.

All we hear is Radio Gaga Radio Googoo. Radio what's new....

SOMEONE STILL LOVES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Guill wrote: »

SOMEONE STILL LOVES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dat's nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I always listen to the radio while driving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Death to the Pixies!

You beat me to it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alternatively if you weren't completely clueless you could change the channel between the end of the regular news and the start of the sports news. Or listen to prerecorded stuff (I'm assuming you could manage this if you could manage to record the match)

40 years ago - Title of the episode says it all
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0747126/
    Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?: Season 1, Episode 7
    No Hiding Place (20 Feb. 1973)
    England are playing Bulgaria at football and Flint,whom the lads meet in the barber's,bets the pair they cannot get through the day without learning the result...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Think you missed my point there...

You dont need the annoying radio telling you the score, when you can txt ur mates or check it on your phone.

The radio is so annoying that you might crash your car, and yet txting ur friends whilst driving wont.

I think you missed my point, or did you just miss the sarcasm smiley.

;)

If the radio is so annoying whilst driving, turn it off or put a CD on. As for being out and about, I rarely hear sports updates being played on radios in shops etc. Although you aware that one of the fuctions of radio, is to provide news.

Advertisement