Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Praveen Halappanavar says he has received abusive letters

• 04-07-2013 1:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

From Newstalk

The husband of Savita Halappanavar has received abusive letters telling him to go home but has insisted that Irish people have mostly been very kind and supportive to him.
    Praveen Halappanavar has confirmed he is taking legal action against the Health Service Executive (HSE) for medical negligence in the death of his wife.
    In an interview broadcast on RTÉ radio this morning Mr. Halappanavar has called the HSE report into his 31-year-old wife's death 'a complete white-wash'.

Full link

I can only question the mental stability of anyone capable of sending such hate fuelled letters to a man who's wife died needlessly at the hands of our health service while pregnant with a dying foetus.

Hasn't he been through enough both at the time and since as he fights for a proper explaination into the reasons why his wife was left to die?

If anyone responsible for sending those letters reads this post please reply in a rational manner to explain your motives for doing so.

As I see it, such cowardly actions are the lowest possible form of trolling, even by the cretinous levels some people stoop to here at times.

Shame on whoever it was.

Shame.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Presumably he has handed these letters over to An Garda Siochana for them to investigate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

While I'm fully against those abusive letters he has received, I do think there's something suspicious about him. When I watched the interview with Miriam O'Callaghan, I got the distinct impression he didn't really 'care' as much as a husband should do. He didn't even appear despondent. I'm aware that organised marriages occur within their faith and so it wouldn't surprise me if this is how it happened and would explain his lack of emotion for the situation. I knew he would eventually sue the HSE for cash and this fits perfectly within my model that he is merely thinking of his own pockets to capitalise on her death. I know that sounds bad given the tragic circumstances in which she died but if I had a wife that died in such circumstances, I personally would not want to gain a cent from it. I think there's something morally reprehensible, as well as suspicious, to gain cash at the expense of a death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

While I'm fully against those abusive letters he has received, I do think there's something suspicious about him. When I watched the interview with Miriam O'Callaghan, I got the distinct impression he didn't really 'care' as much as a husband should do. He didn't even appear despondent. I'm aware that organised marriages occur within their faith and so it wouldn't surprise me if this is how it happened and would explain his lack of emotion for the situation. I knew he would eventually sue the HSE for cash and this fits perfectly within my model that he is merely thinking of his own pockets to capitalise on her death. I know that sounds bad given the tragic circumstances in which she died but if I had a wife that died in such circumstances, I personally would not want to gain a cent from it. I think there's something morally reprehensible gain cash at the expense of a death.

Stay Classy AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

While I'm fully against those abusive letters he has received, I do think there's something suspicious about him. When I watched the interview with Miriam O'Callaghan, I got the distinct impression he didn't really 'care' as much as a husband should do. He didn't even appear despondent. I'm aware that organised marriages occur within their faith and so it wouldn't surprise me if this is how it happened and would explain his lack of emotion for the situation. I knew he would eventually sue the HSE for cash and this fits perfectly within my model that he is merely thinking of his own pockets to capitalise on her death. I know that sounds bad given the tragic circumstances in which she died but if I had a wife that died in such circumstances, I personally would not want to gain a cent from it. I think there's something morally reprehensible, as well as suspicious, to gain cash at the expense of a death.

He's looking for a full public enquiry, not compensation, FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You forgot "I'm not a racist, but"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

nasty and uncalled for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Christ. I feel really sorry for him, he can't win no matter what he does.

Something suspicious about him? Everyone has their own way of dealing with grief, he lost a wife and a child, basically his whole world. As for him capitalising on her death - he wants a full enquiry into the circumstances surrounding her death, presumably to prevent anything like this ever happening to another woman in this country. Don't know about you, but I think that's to be commended.

Stark wrote: »
    You forgot "I'm not a racist, but"

Sorry but mentioning the faith of an individual never constitutes racism. In fact, this is what Zionists say if you criticise Israel - 'You're racist' - religion and race are like comparing chalk and cheese so please refrain from labels like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You've got some neck to accuse someone else of being morally reprehensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Heard this interview this morning and everyone in the office kind of stopped what they were doing and listened. If I were in his situation, I would want the individuals responsible for the system under which my partner died un-necessarily cross-examined. I don't think that's an unreasonable position to take.

The fact that he has been receiving abusive letters is disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Presumably he has handed these letters over to An Garda Siochana for them to investigate?
    Had to get his publicity from the media first....

You've got some neck to accuse someone else of being morally reprehensible.

When we watched the interview of Joe O'Reilly - we saw someone who behaved like they should not given the circumstances. I don't think there's anything morally reprehensible about analysing the behaviour of someone during an interview, nor does it constitute racism.

By the way, I'm not against a full enquiry, that's needed and welcomed. However, should a situation arise whereby his pockets are filled at the expense of his wife, then yes, that is what I'd define as disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What disgusting comments to make about a man who lost his wife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Investigate what?

When we watched the interview of Joe O'Reilly - we saw someone who behaved like they should not given the circumstances. I don't think there's anything morally reprehensible about analysing the behaviour of someone during an interview, nor does it constitute racism.

Now you're comparing him like for like with a murderer? Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Upon knowing of his late wife's pregnancy their lives should have been filled with hopes and aspiration for the future not despondency and desperation. Callous behaviour to send a man who has been through so much letters of that nature.

The difference was Joe O'Reilly was the one responsible for the death of his wife, ffs Savita died after a few days in the care of medical staff, they have admitted her care was flawed, there is no question of Praveen having anything to do with it.

I have to admit, in his shoes, I wouldn't be so calm, his manner has been very dignified throughout this. I would want heads to roll too, would you be just happy with "ah shucks we're sorry" and leave it at that?

LizT wrote: »
    Now you're comparing him like for like with a murderer? Classy.

Of course I'm not comparing him with a murderer. I'm talking about how there's nothing wrong in getting suspicious about people under interview. We could see it clearly with Joe O'Reilly - I'm saying, in a very different way, I personally don't believe the sincerity of the comments of Praveen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Great example of typical irish begrudgery, it seems you can't even lose your wife through the negligence of an outdated health system without being accused of being a money grabber who couldn't care less about his dead wife :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

padd b1975 wrote: »

What kind of bollox is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm sorry he wasn't upset enough for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How distraught should he be then? Should he be tearing his hair? Weeping uncontrollably? Rending his clothes and throwing himself into her grave?

FFS, some people...

Of course I'm not comparing him with a murderer. I'm talking about how there's nothing wrong in getting suspicious about people under interview. We could see it clearly with Joe O'Reilly - I'm saying, in a very different way, I personally don't believe the sincerity of the comments of Praveen.

So what do you think he stands to gain from seeking a full and comprehensive enquiry into his wife's death?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

After 8 months of these interviews, enquiries and everything that would leave any person physically and mentally exhausted what reaction would you expect? Curled up in tears to satisfy your amateur analysis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Radiosonde wrote: »
    He's looking for a full public enquiry, not compensation, FFS.

Isn't he taking an action against them? Compensation is pretty much a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Seriously. You're only at the start of this hole. Great opportunity to stop digging now. You made a stupid comment, and its been shot down. If I were you, I'd take the opportunity to back down graciously.

kylith wrote: »
    How distraught should he be then? Should he be tearing his hair? Weeping uncontrollably? Rending his clothes and throwing himself into her grave?

FFS, some people...

How would you feel if you lost a very young successful wife along with your baby?

That's an awful lot to lose.

I don't believe anyone can be so calm and reserved, especially so soon after it happened. Not even an apathetic person could be so calm and almost indifferent. It just doesn't look sincere, sorry, but it really doesn't.

How would you feel if you lost a very young successful wife along with your baby?

I don't believe anyone can be so calm and reserved, especially so soon after it happened. Not even an apathetic person could be so calm and almost indifferent. It just doesn't look sincere, sorry, but it really doesn't.

If he was sobbing with grief in every interview, people would say he's over doing it to win sympathy.

The man simply cannot win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

By the way, I'm not against a full enquiry, that's needed and welcomed. However, should a situation arise whereby his pockets are filled at the expense of his wife, then yes, that is what I'd define as disturbing.

So you think it's wrong for anyone to sue a company/person/institution who were to blame in the death of a loved one? I have to say that's reaching a level of stupidity I didn't think was even possible for After hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

For all we know the poor man could be on anti depressants just to get through the day. You don't know him personally and have no idea what's going through his head on a daily basis.

His wife died last year, time that I'm sure he has used to grieve his loss. Its totally understandable that he can do an interview months later and not be an emotional mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

So how many letters did you write?

If he was sobbing with grief in every interview, people would say he's over doing it to win sympathy.

The man simply cannot win.

Not at all - I think he was being honest and himself in the interview, which is precisely why I have my views on it.

But think about it, losing a wife in her early thirties and a soon-to-be-born baby?

That would *destroy* any husband's life, completely and entirely.

To be so reserved on interview, being watched by hundreds of thousands, and appear so indifferent soon after she died, does not make sense to me at all. I think anyone who cared would not be able to even withstand such an interview with all the pressure that comes with it. I think my view on this is reasonable despite the objections here.

Lapin wrote: »
    What kind of bollox is that ?
    A man receives abusive mail with racist undertones about his wife who died in clearly tragic circumstances, instead of filing a complaint with the Gardaí, he decides to talk to the media.

That's bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How can people post such bull**** and expect to be taken seriously?

It just doesn't look sincere, sorry, but it really doesn't.

A man receives abusive mail with racist undertones about his wife who died in clearly tragic circumstances, instead of filing a complaint with the Gardaí, he decides to talk to the media.

That's bollox.

How do you know he hasn't been in touch with Gardai :confused:

That's bollox.

To be fair, the article doesn't say whether or not he's spoken to the Gardai about it.

KKkitty wrote: »
    For all we know the poor man could be on anti depressants just to get through the day. You don't know him personally and have no idea what's going through his head on a daily basis.

I could mirror that back at you and say for all we know he really doesn't care as much as he claims to, nor do you know him personally to adduce he cares and you've also no idea what's going through his head on a daily basis.

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you know he hasn't been in touch with Gardai :confused:
    How do you know he has?

I can't find any mention of it either way in the numerous links I checked online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So he should still be in tears 8 months after the event? When would be seemly for him to stop grieving? A year? Two? Never?

Many people lose spouses and children, and some to greater tragedies than Mr. Halappanavar. Do you insist that those who've lost spouses to murders be inconsolable months later? Should someone whose child has been killed in a RTA wear their mourning clothes indefinitely to satisfy what you deem to be acceptable?

What evidence do you have that Mr. Halappanavar does not swallow his pain when giving interviews and go home and weep for the wife he lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

That's bollox.

I havent heard the interview Padd, I was lead to believe it was about a topic very much in the limelight in Ireland at the moment, and that the abusive letters would have simply come up over the course of the conversation.

I guess you're saying the interview was held just so that he could publicly state that he had received the abusive mail.

Thanks for clearing it up.

To be fair, the article doesn't say whether or not he's spoken to the Gardai about it.
    I think it's reasonable to expect a mention of it if he had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That's bollox.

Thats not what you said.

This is.

How do you know he hasn't handed the letters to the Gardaí ?

Accusing him of being a publicity seeker in his circumstances is cynical in the extreme.

If anything, you could be accused of the same by trying to gain a cheap shot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's bollox.

Not really.

I'll tell ye what is though.

I could mirror that back at you and say for all we know he really doesn't care as much as he claims to, nor do you know him personally to adduce he cares and you've also no idea what's going through his head on a daily basis.

The only person who knows how Praveen really feels is Praveen.

But most people probably look at the man who has lost his wife and child in unexpected and tragic circumstances and now not only has to deal with that but has hate mail to contend with on top of it and feel sympathy for him.

Now you want to add "money grabber" to the mix? Not every husband who has lost a wife is a Joe O'reilly. Ffs have a bit of empathy for the man. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think it's reasonable to expect a mention of it if he had.

Not really :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Shame this thread got hijacked by some posters attempt of profiling a griefing widower- sounds like the chap watched few box sets of Criminal Minds and went "ara Ican do that" (I know charter is "attack post not poster" but really pissed me off)

Any how back on topic:
    Disgusting that this man got hate mail..
    Also is disgusting that so many Galway West TDs, where this tragedy happened, voted against the abortion bill

kylith wrote: »
    So he should still be in tears 8 months after the event? When would be seemly for him to stop grieving? A year? Two? Never?

I'm not referring to how he is now.

I'm specifically referring to his interview with Miriam O'Callaghan about 2-3 weeks after the death of Savita.

She died on 28th October 2012, the interview was broadcast on 21 November 2012.

Go and watch the interview and tell me that 2-3 weeks after you lose a wife and baby under tragic circumstances, you could even believe the sincerity. I doubt you'll be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don't suppose we'll get to learn who sent the abusive mail?

• Advertisement
Advertisement