Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'No signal input' on monitor

• 29-06-2009 12:59am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came home after the weekend to find this on my monitor when I try to turn my computer on, after somebody had been 'cleaning' around my computer area. I want to try and fix it tomorrow and would just like possible causes. Are these it:

1. Video card is dead/new one.
    2. Video card is loose.
    3. Something is wrong with the ram/may need to take out and put in/get new ram.
    4. Something is wrong with the monitor/cable. Seems unlikely.
    5. Bent connection pins.

Is that it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

check all cables and pins / sockets

or if they have being cleaning check for water damage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

first port of call is whip out the dimms and reseat em. then the VC is it not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So i poked around and it started working again randomly. I used it again for a few days and then the same thing has happened! When I cam back to my pc the display was frozen so I rebooted to find the 'no signal display' was back? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Could be a heat problem, any chance the card is backed up with dust? It would explain it locking up.. but not the original problem. What GPU is it? Maybe it's just knackered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS, had a look and it's quite dusty, don't wanna feck it up cleaning it, will try to clean though.
    Time to wonder what replacement I should get.

• Advertisement

Just blowing down the fan should move some of the dust. It could possibly be caked. 8800s run fairly hot stock right? Cheap bang for your buck would be a 4850. It should run a bit better than the 8800 and pix are selling them for dirt cheap now.

cheers, might try and get one. Better is good!

If it's just heat i don't know why it isn't coming on when it is cold, yet after a week it came on fine for a few days?

I know that's odd alright, the heat would explain the lock up but not much else.. I'm doubt someone cleaning could of damaged a video card either.. Have you tried the card in a different machine? It's a bit of effort but it could save you the €100 you would be spending on a new low-medium end card.

No other machine to try it on, dang. Might just try and get a good card. Before this happened my computer did seem to over heat once or twice as it would randomly go off after being on for ages.

Advertisement