Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Praveen Halappanavar says he has received abusive letters

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

fryup wrote: »
    isn't it about time that the pro-choice lobby got their act together and organised a few counter demonstrations...and stick it to those holy-joe's who seem to be holding marches every second day

i'm sick of it:mad:

there was a counter demonstration today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The hyperbole of the many posts in this thread trying to condemn me for constructing the 'worst post on boards.ie' is quite farcical.

Let me try and help you guys out:

A positive start - a blanket condemnation of hate mail and the extremist fools who wish to impose their archaic perspective on other people.

Does the worst post on boards.ie start with a positive?

Many posters have agreed that it's possible for someone to not appear despondent and still be in mourning. Thus, this particular reflection is agreed upon. The only point of contention is that I find it difficult to believe he was being completely honest in the circumstances.

Thus, so far, we have a positive start, and a reflection agreed upon. So most of the first half of my post is actually positive and agreeable. Yes there is a point of contention but don't forget, this is supposed to be the 'worst post' people have seen in a long time and for some, the worst post on boards.ie.

This is also a fact - they had an arranged marriage.

It's possible that arranged marriages can be legitimate and happy but let's not assume that all marriages are like this. Thus, this is a perfectly reasonable point to raise and let's not insult the wives of many arranged marriages who are not happy and assume that those who say what I've said are racists, which is what has happened in this thread.

This is also a fact. He is trying to acquire cash in the face of her death. Regardless of how disagreeable you find my tone - this is a fact. He has moved from caring about her to try to inflate his bank balance to the tune of hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

This is a moral statement of truth - I think a person is morally superior if they don't line their pockets as opposed to someone who does line their pockets. If I did sue, I would donate the cash toward a greater cause, the cause that resulted in a tragedy for example. But I wouldn't keep it, buy a large house, all the while pretending to equally care about what happened in the past. These two claims do not compute. So is this moral claim part of the worst post on boards.ie, indeed, a disgusting post?

Come on people, get off your high horses for a second and stop exaggerating. Does the worst and most disgusting post in the history of boards.ie get 13 thanks?

It really is quite laughable the degree of hyperbole that it employed by some posters here.

I just love the way people throw up the Americanism of political correctness in relation to this kind of reply on a thread. I would have had similar misgivings about the husband on this case, we are all entitled to our opinions, that some people have doubts or gut feelings about his real intentions, then that's up to them, please do not tar people as pseudo racist, just because you read the situation different to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I just love the way people throw up the Americanism of political correctness in relation to this kind of reply on a thread. I would have had similar misgivings about the husband on this case, we are all entitled to our opinions, that some people have doubts or gut feelings about his real intentions, then that's up to them, please do not tar people as pseudo racist, just because you read the situation different to them.

He claimed they had an arranged marriage when that was not true! He's also claiming that his viewpoint is objectively correct....... Gut feeling that relates to making conclusions about his nationality is racist......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there was a counter demonstration today

bye all accounts it was tiny in comparison and it didn't get a mention on the news

Corkfeen wrote: »
    He claimed they had an arranged marriage when that was not true! He's also claiming that his viewpoint is objectively correct....... Gut feeling that relates to making conclusions about his nationality is racist......

My misgivings is that I think that the husband is out for a big payday and is constantly swiping at us backward Irish and our backward ways. If anyone's racist its the husband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't you remember how Michael Noonan treated Brigid McCole?

Mr Halappanavar will be struggling to get any money from the State.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't you remember how Michael Noonan treated Brigid McCole?

Mr Halappanavar will be struggling to get any money from the State.
    No, because it looks like it will be part of their advertising budget for the Abortion debate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My misgivings is that I think that the husband is out for a big payday

Yes, he had it all planned out in advance.
    and is constantly swiping at us backward Irish and our backward ways. If anyone's racist its the husband

"constantly swiping at us backward Irish and our backward ways"...he is? A few examples, if you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

My misgivings is that I think that the husband is out for a big payday and is constantly swiping at us backward Irish and our backward ways. If anyone's racist its the husband

Criticising a country's healthcare system that is responsible for your wife's death is not racist...... The man deserves compensation for this entire experience, why would you begrudge him that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

bye all accounts it was tiny in comparison and it didn't get a mention on the news

well maybe if people who claimed to be pro choice bother to protest it wouldn't be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

No I did not tar the OP as racist, I believe the OP was a vile evil twat, that's because I read the situation differently to you, I also think you are a couple of sandwichs short of a picnic, but again just my opinion don't shoot the messenger and all that just my opinion, that's all. You see I'm just like you I judge people I have never met based on a tiny media based interaction with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Yep not you at all.

If people like Royal Eejit above are serious with their comments (and not trolling), there are some twisted Irish people out there.

Trust me, Irish women have died in maternity hospitals before in Ireland because of medical practitioner fears of intervening. Often the relatives have not protested because of the stigma around abortion (even to save a mothers life) and because Irish people in general do not protest or question enough. The "catholic country" line is a new one to me though. Praveen has gone where other Irish men and women should have gone before. He should be commended for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

isn't it about time that the pro-choice lobby got their act together and organised a few counter demonstrations...and stick it to those holy-joe's who seem to be holding marches every second day

I was at one today. Did anyone from AH show up to it also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I admire him a lot- he lost his wife unnecessarily, he is angry but still wants to make sure her death is not in vain but can help change the law and save other women from re same fate. I have never heard of him looking for compensation but he deserves it nonetheless- i wouldnt think accepting same undermines his integrity. this was a clear case of medical negligence.

I think his presence upsets some pro-lifers. With all the posters saying abortion doesn't save lives etc, they cant have Praveen there and very vocal and visable saying actually my wife would still be alive of if her pregnancy had been terminated. So if one woman's life could have been saved they lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I have tried and tried to find one , just one, such comment from the man where he refers to the Irish as backward(or any similar term), perhaps you could provide me with a direct quote and a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Of course there's nothing said by Praveen about the backwards Irish - that poster is just posting psycho sh1t.
    I would agree it's not necessarily racist though - some people like to be nasty as **** to anyone, whatever colour.
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Why should one have to hide the fact that they have been harassed? He was discussing the future of the case and the stress which he has experienced since his wife's death. Scumbags who choose to send abusive letters to him should be the focus and they would only add to the stress of the situation. Rather than questioning why he would mention it in an interview, I'd probably mention it in the hopes that the individuals responsible would cop on and stop.
    Yeh it's kinda dismaying that there's more concern from some re him telling the press about the hate mail rather than the hate mail itself.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled the medical staff should be getting hate mail:rolleyes:
    Huh?
    If I did sue, I would donate the cash toward a greater cause, the cause that resulted in a tragedy for example. But I wouldn't keep it, buy a large house, all the while pretending to equally care about what happened in the past.
    How the fuk did you come to the conclusion that he'd buy a bigger house and is only pretending to care? Possible unpaid leave from work, travelling from Ireland to India and the costs for his and Savita's family to do the same, bereavement counselling - if you put some thought into things you'd realise these are what a payout would go towards.

i'm sick of it:mad:
    Why don't you organise one so?
    I know you think it makes you seem intelligent to use that phrase because it's kinda two long words, and you also added in "Americanism" (:confused:) but objecting to ****-ishness is not political correctness. Or hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Yep not you at all.

If people like Royal Eejit above are serious with their comments (and not trolling), there are some twisted Irish people out there.

Trust me, Irish women have died in maternity hospitals before in Ireland because of medical practitioner fears of intervening. Often the relatives have not protested because of the stigma around abortion (even to save a mothers life) and because Irish people in general do not protest or question enough. The "catholic country" line is a new one to me though. Praveen has gone where other Irish men and women should have gone before. He should be commended for his actions.

I do think this case has racial overtones. No one would have cared if she was Irish. It just would have been swept under the rug.

An Irishwoman dying in 2012 in the same circumstances here and nobody would have cared? Yeh right. There would have been uproar.

I don't get why stuff has to be made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

An Irishwoman dying in 2012 in the same circumstances here and nobody would have cared? Yeh right. There would have been uproar.

I don't get why stuff has to be made up.

Personally I think it's less that it would have been swept under the rug and more that if it was an Irish couple they may have been less likely to kick up a fuss when refused an abortion because the foetus still had heartbeat, and they probably wouldn't have gone to the papers about it. I think that Praveen's case is one of an outsider to a culture to have been the one to question what the locals accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

kylith wrote: »
    Personally I think it's less that it would have been swept under the rug and more that if it was an Irish couple they may have been less likely to kick up a fuss when refused an abortion because the foetus still had heartbeat, and they probably wouldn't have gone to the papers about it. I think that Praveen's case is one of an outsider to a culture to have been the one to question what the locals accept.

Agree. It was the same with Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda. Only when a midwife/nurse who came to work there from outside was the totally barbaric practices of hysterectomy post birth and myriad systemic failures of a consultant brought to light. I was given the brush off and told things were standard practice on my last pregnancy. This time me and my husband are far more vocal and questioning of things, and we find Irish medical personnel, especially nurses, don't like having to account for or explain things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

lazygal wrote: »
    Agree. It was the same with Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda. Only when a midwife/nurse who came to work there from outside was the totally barbaric practices of hysterectomy post birth and myriad systemic failures of a consultant brought to light. I was given the brush off and told things were standard practice on my last pregnancy. This time me and my husband are far more vocal and questioning of things, and we find Irish medical personnel, especially nurses, don't like having to account for or explain things.

I think especially to other Irish women. It's as if they are expected to shut up and put up, so it makes challenging them harder if you are not an outsider.

You know how you notice the clutter in your house more if you have a guest make a surprise visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The standard brush off are "we're very busy you know", or "no one else queries this, is there a reason you want to know". To the first I usually acknowledge that, but remind them everyone has a busy time in work, and to the second we say that's beside the point, we're asking. I find among older Irish nurses there's a serious lack of people skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I fully support Praveen for taking on the shambles that is the HSE. Taking them to court is the only way to highlight their lies and inadequacies.

I hate blind unthinking public sector bashing but at the same time, anyone I know who has done contract work in the HSE and come from a private sector background has been absolutely flabbergasted at the red tape and politics. I'm sure many people therein are frustrated too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I hate blind unthinking public sector bashing but at the same time, anyone I know who has done contract work in the HSE and come from a private sector background has been absolutely flabbergasted at the red tape and politics. I'm sure many people therein are frustrated too.

Having worked on projects for the HSE, I can tell you the bureaucracy is astounding. The only solution is compulsory redundancies of whole layers of back office middle management and staff. Very very difficult to do - should have been done when health boards were amalgamated but Harney too afraid. But until it's done the front line workers and services will suffer.

Advertisement