Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with golf clubs

Options
  • 28-08-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm travelling to Australia in a couple of weeks and a friend of mine has asked me to bring his golf clubs over, I've booked through sky scanner and travelling with aer lingus to London then Malaysia airlines to kuala lumpa and on to Sydney.

Am I reading this correctly? That it will only cost 30e to get the clubs over and I presume I can check them in with my checked bag in Dublin and not see them until Sydney?

Aer Lingus will carry golf bags as checked baggage.
    Golfing equipment may consist of one golf bag containing golf clubs and golf equipment.
    A maximum of 1 golf bag per person is allowed.
    On US flights where the Piece Concept is applied and golfing equipment is within the passenger's normal baggage allowance, there is no extra charge. If the Golfing Equipment is in addition to the passenger's baggage allowance, normal excess baggage charges using the Piece Concept apply.
    There is no charge for golf bags for passengers travelling in Business Class.
    For all other flights a maximum of 1 golf bag weighing up to 23kgs / 50lbs per person is permitted for a fee of €30 or equivalent payable online prior to departure, or a fee of €40 or equivalent payable at the airport on the day of departure. This fee is charged each-way on outbound and return journeys. Excess baggage charges apply if the golf bag is in excess of 23kgs / 50lbs.
    Groups travelling with golf clubs should contact Aer Lingus directly to make special arrangements and to ensure there is enough space in the aircraft hold to carry the golf equipment.
    If you are travelling on Aer Lingus regional flights the maximum golf bags allowed is 12 golf bags per flight. This is all subject to availability on the day.

Golfing Equipment
    One item of golfing equipment is defined as one or up to all of a combination of the
    following:
    One golf bag containing not more than;
    14 golf clubs
    12 golf balls
    one pair of golf shoes
    Weight System(all destinations except
    to/from Americas)
    Piece System(to/from Americas)
    Applicable for travel between points in
    Area 2 and Area 3, points within Area 2
    and points within Area 3.
    Applicable for travel between points in
    Area 1 and Area 2/3 and points within
    Area 1.
    One item of golfing equipment with a
    maximum weight of 15kg will be carried
    free. Any subsequent sets will be carried
    for free if the total weight of checked in
    baggage (excluding the 1st golf set) is
    within free baggage allowance
    One set of golfing equipment will be
    assessed 50% of the applicable charge
    for a single piece. Additional sets will
    assess the full applicable excess charge
    for a single piece.
    Customers wishing to check golf clubs have two options:
    1. Hard shell golf travel containers - no limited liability release required
    2. All other golf travel bags (i.e., soft-sided bags) - limited liability release required
    The limited liability release absolves Malaysia Airlines of responsibility for
    preexisting damage to the clubs or damage from the normal course of handling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Yep' i'm pretty sure you're right. I flew with Aer lingus / qatar airlines to australia last year with my bike and all i had to pay was the fee for the bike on the Aerlingus leg.

Justbmake sure you give the clubs and bag a really good was / scrub so there is no dirt on them for when you have to go through quarentine in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Excellent cheers!

Advertisement