Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EHIC Card - is it really needed if you have travel insurance?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, do you really need the EHIC card when travelling in Europe if you have travel insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

robo wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you really need the EHIC card when travelling in Europe if you have travel insurance?

I don't know if you need it or not but it's free, I used it in Spain a couple of years back, came down with an ear infection a few days before our return home, walked to the local clinic, showed my card and within 40mins had seen a doctor, got a prescription and was standing in a pharmacy

The EHIC card is not an alternative to travel insurance though some think it is.

I'd say get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks - I have one, but someone I know has never had one and is wondering if you really need them. Yep I think its best to have one alright, you can never have too much cover when abroad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

best case scenario, you have it and don't need it.
    worst case scenario, you need it and don't have it.

you probably don't need it with travel insurance, but no point in taking the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Think it's probably very handy for minor stuff like ear infections, minor cuts that may need a stitch or two etc that you can get treated for at a local public clinic which are usually close to where you are staying, for more serious stuff, your private health & travel insurance should cover you in hospital which may or may not be local

EHIC will cover you only in the public system as I understand it so best have both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

robo wrote: »
    Thanks - I have one, but someone I know has never had one and is wondering if you really need them. Yep I think its best to have one alright, you can never have too much cover when abroad!
    has never had what? insurance or EHIC?`

And, have they had medical treatment abroad, because if they never got sick or injured then its irrelevant what the have (or dont have) as they never had to use whatever they have (or havent missed what they dont have) !

Just to illustrate the benefits of being doubly covered:
    My mother broke her arm on a visit to Germany recently and the EHIC got her patched up with xray plaster cast etc at the out of hours clinic. VHI trael insurance would have probably covered it but with payment up front in cash and then a reclaim. With EHIC it was covered on the spot with no need for a payment.

An acquaintance got sick recently on a summer stay in Germany and the EHIC got her patched up and covered all scans and diagnosis/ consultant visits BUT then there was a lot of confusion and panic as to whether it would cover the subsequent fairly major surgery which was necessary but (and this is the critical bit) arguably could have waited till she is in Ireland next month so was technically not an emergency - but the VHI world assist (or whatever their travel insurance is called) covered that eventually so she was thankful she had that.
    Obviously the German hospital doesnt factor in the fact that surgery in Ireland takes far longer than there (which was only a week waiting time) - but why should they cover for the ineptness of irish hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 to the above advice. The EHIC costs nothing so I'd definitely get it and bring it but recent reports from cash-strapped hospitals in Spain indicate that they want cash upfront from tourists and the EHIC gets you nowhere so you definitely need travel insurance for even minor treatment in Spain but the EHIC should get you treatment in public hospitals in places like Germany and the UK.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 to the above advice. The EHIC costs nothing so I'd definitely get it and bring it but recent reports from cash-strapped hospitals in Spain indicate that they want cash upfront from tourists and the EHIC gets you nowhere so you definitely need travel insurance for even minor treatment in Spain but the EHIC should get you treatment in public hospitals in places like Germany and the UK.
    yup, and aparantly in Greece even before the bust the EHIC was often no use and cash up front was needed before they'd look at you.

Austria though should also be fine for the EHIC.

BTW, from personal experience in Germany and Austria I can assure you that accident and emergency abroad can take just as long as in Ireland - so be prepared for a wait if you do get ill / break bones.
    The only positive is that hospitals in Germany/ Austria serve beer so if youre not the one getting treated you can at least have a pint when waiting!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most insurers would expect you to use the EHIC first for whatever it covers, and then cover anything over and above themselves. So yes, it is better to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Most insurers would expect you to use the EHIC first for whatever it covers, and then cover anything over and above themselves. So yes, it is better to have it.

+1 I would check your insurance policy as well to see if its not a requirement. Herself used it in Portugal last year, insurance company when rang requested us to use it. €17 charge at A&E and script came to €12.

slight tangent, but if youre living in UK / continent and returning to Ireland for a holiday and need emergency medical care, then the EHIC is the biz as it covers everything including 50c flat rate prescriptions with such little bureaucracy its unreal (and Ive now seen it work with german card in ireland and irish card in germany, and theres a gigantic difference with the paper work involved)

So its definitely worth having if going home.

(BTW, the costs are eventually billed to and covered by the country where the card is issued so dont worry about the irish taxpayer suffering!! The expendture is recouped!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

EHIC will cover you up front for all required medical care in the EEA (Spain, Portugal and Greece being some dodgy exceptions)

It does not cover you if you travel to another country specifically for medical treatment.

Other stuff that's covered depends on the policy:

E.G.
    http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Insurance/Travel-Insurance/Summary-Of-Cover.aspx

Personal Liability is good to have in case you cause accidental harm or damage to someone/someone elses property.

If your going Scuba Diving, Skiing/Snowboarding or some other extreme sport I'd recommend you get a policy for that specifically as evacuation by helicopter or a hypobaric chamber treatment + medical repatriation can be very costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EHIC will cover you up front for all required medical care in the EEA (Spain, Portugal and Greece being some dodgy exceptions)

The EHIC card entitles you to the same level of treatment in public health facilites that is available to the locals which is not the same as saying that it covers you for 'all required medical care'. It's probably true in the case of the UK thanks to the NHS but in other countries the coverage may not be as comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

coylemj wrote: »
    The EHIC card entitles you to the same level of treatment in public health facilites that is available to the locals which is not the same as saying that it covers you for 'all required medical care'. It's probably true in the case of the UK thanks to the NHS but in other countries the coverage may not be as comprehensive.

Yeh .. bad wording on my part :)

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=509&langId=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

EHIC will cover you up front for all required medical care in the EEA (Spain, Portugal Ireland and Greece being some dodgy exceptions)

Having experienced A&E in both Portugal and Ireland. Portugal was €17 wait to see consultant 1 Hour no hassle. Compare that to any A&E in this country and unless you have a med card fork out €100 to wait for several hours and most likely to encounter some sort of public disorder.

Advertisement