Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Irish beef in France

• 25-08-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Over the next year I plan on spending a couple of months in the Midi in France. I love the rib-eye and fillet steaks that i buy in Aldi. I have never found that high quality of steak in France. I was there a couple of weeks ago and ordered an entrecote steak in a restaurant - it was inedible! I like my steak rare and tender.

In the near future I will be cooking for myself there so I need to be able to buy good quality steak in the Languedoc region. Would it be legal for me to bring the steak from Ireland in a cooler (I will be bringing my car)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to the Travel forum because you're more likely to get helpful replies here.

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check the Customs website. I have a feeling that importing raw meat may be a no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Check the Customs website. I have a feeling that importing raw meat may be a no-no.

I have checked the French customs website but cannot find anything about the importation of bovine meat from another member state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

EU rules do not allow animal products from outside the EU. However, within the EU every country have their own rules.
    There's signs around Dublin airport arrivals about restrictions on animal products. I can't remember exactly what it said, but I'm pretty sure it included meat. Only I'm not sure if that's just from outside EU, or whether it would apply in France.

According to the web, there's no restriction on bringing meat to France within the EU. However, family that went through France had their Irish cheese taken off them going through security, so who knows, might be the same for meat. Though if you're arriving into the airport, there's no one there to check you really. I am not saying you should break their rules though, as there could be severe penalties if you're caught.

Here's a couple of slightly conflicting sources I found:
    http://www.ask.com/question/can-i-take-meat-to-france
    www.discoverfrance.net/France/DF_tourism.shtml# under "Meat & Dairy Products"
    http://france.visahq.com/customs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No restriction on Meat or Dairy Products within the EU.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm
    There are no general restrictions on carrying any of these products if you are traveling within the EU, since all EU countries have to respect strict common veterinary standards. The same applies if you are travelling to or from Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino or Switzerland.

Only applies if there is a restriction in place (e.g. Foot and Mouth)
    Some restrictions may apply in case of localised animal-disease outbreaks.

Product must have clear labeling indicating country of Origin (EU Labeling requirements)

E.G. If you bring self packed meat/cheese etc the relevant authority may take it from you as they cannot determine its origin.

Never had a problem myself, they even sell meats/cheeses etc in the Airports.

I'd say though there is Irish Beef sold in France, lots of exports into Belgium/The Netherlands for sure.

Maybe ask on Bord Bias French site:
    http://www.boeuf-irlandais.fr/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Maybe that's the issue they had with the cheese. It wasn't a factory packaged product as it was bought at an Irish "artsy" cheesemonger..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suspect the reason why OP didn't find appealing steak in France has little to do with the country of origin: Irish beef is available in France, and I have seen restaurants advertise their beef as being Irish, with the implication that it is a superior product.

The problem is a different approach to butchery. Steaks tend to be thin-cut, and often with very little fat or marbling. Thick-cut with plenty of marbling (and a bit of ageing) tends to make for a more succulent steak.

OP, if you have good French and moderately deep pockets it might be worth developing a relationship with a craft butcher and explaining your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

In my experience the best steak to be had anywhere in the world is in Ireland, Scotland and France (Argentina was always disappointing). Your 'beef', as it were, was perhaps the cut. If you were eating your steak at lunch, usually entrecotes and faux fillets (sirloin) are cut thinly. However, whenever I've ordered steak at lunch, I've never had it incorrectly cooked.

You may have eaten in a bad place. Or you may have ordered it incorrectly and it was overcooked for your taste. If you like your steaks bleu or saingnant. Á point would probably be too much for you (our medium rare).

If you fancy splashing out, why not go somewhere that's known for its cote de boeuf?

Honestly, a little local knowledge goes a long way. If it's that you want to buy fresh steak and cook it yourself, then talk to people. There's no better way to learn French and get to know people than to talk about food. Very soon, you'll learn all about the best places to buy your meat, which may be at the municipal or weekly markets. A queue is always a good sign.

Advertisement