Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair (feckin disaster) but Re-Imbursed me some

• 18-04-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

One of the WORST NIGHTS of my life last night thanks to RYANAIR. Flight from London to Dublin was transferred to Belfast due to the wind. Flight was at 9.30 circled Dublin till 11.30 where they then told us we were going to Belfast. Car in Dublin?? Wtf? We were asked to leave the plane at midnight and told buses were being organised for our journey to Dublin that we were to q at the bus stop. So there we are qu...euing in the rain and the wind and then we were abandoned. No rep from Ryan air came to find us. No bus came. Buses came for airlingus passengers. Then buses came for British air passengers. Over 300 ryan air passengers including babies and small children were waitin in the wind and rain with no shelters until five Am when a security guard call us all together and told us there was no buses coming for us and there never was to make our own way back to Dublin and we might be compensated for the transport cost. Not offered so mush as a cup of tea. RYANAIR YOU ARE A DISGRACEFUL COMPANY that has no care for your clients and I am appalled that in the current climate you can not value your customers enough to even make sure we get any of the service paid for (like getting home for example) and to make it worse i had to pay 150 English pounds on a taxi back to Dublin to get home 12 hours late. Lots of people just left there stranded because they had no cash to pay taxi.
    And I also bet there will be no refunds for the fair either.
    It will be the last time I will ever travel with RYANAIR.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's Ryanair, all one word.

Sorry for your troubles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's Ryanair, all one word.

Sorry for your troubles

It's RuinAir, spelt any way you want as long as the point gets across.

OP, sorry to hear that, sounds miserable. I'd hate to have been there with a young family though, just imagine that.

I'm sure you have a right to some sort of compensation but don't expect them to make it easy. Be prepared for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

It's RuinAir, spelt any way you want as long as the point gets across.

OP, sorry to hear that, sounds miserable. I'd hate to have been there with a young family though, just imagine that.

I'm sure you have a right to some sort of compensation but don't expect them to make it easy. Be prepared for a fight.

ive pretty much drawn a line under it as a lost cause. i will be looking for a refund but not expecting a good outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Horrendous. Should anyone else reading this thread find themselves in a similar situation, Aircoach runs a coach from Belfast centre to Dublin Airport/centre.

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.belfast.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

You'll travel with them again, you'll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Travel Insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a bus from Belfast international to the city centre every hour through the entire night getting you to the city centre in a half hour.
    http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Goldline/Routes--Timetables/All-Timetables/Goldline-Service-300-Inbound/?parentid=4521

That lands you to the Europa bus centre (Glengal st) where the Bus Eireann/ Aircoach connection to Dublin Airport is located which as a previous poster pointed out also runs through the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

1. Weather conditions last night.
    Are they were Ryanair problems?
    I think no. It's a DAA (Irish State Company) they diverted almost 90 proc flights yesterday to other airports.

2. You have travel insurance?
    If YES - they will compensate your 150 GBP expense on taxi.
    If NO - is that a Ryanair problem?

3. People travelling without having extra cash or money on credit card?
    Is that a Ryanair problem?

4. How much the ticket on Ryanair flight was? 40-60Euros?
    The train from Dublin to Limerick costs normally 60 Eur one way.

Don't like them = Don't fly with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

they are an awful crowd to deal with. i havent flown with them in 6 years. last time i said never again and i havent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ryanair don't control the weather so you can't blame them for the inconvenience of being diverted safely to Belfast.

They won't refund the fare for the flight, but keep any receipts from expenses you paid to get you home including any for food you bought and make copies of them.

They are duty bound to cover the costs of your onward travel from Belfast, especially as a staff member told you there was transport laid on. Did anyone get the name of the staff member? Are you in touch with other passengers from the flight?

You may get seen to quicker if it you act as a group. Don't go threatening them by saying you're going to phone Joe Duffy etc. They don't give a damn about that.

Engage with them and you will get somewhere. But telling them you will never fly with them again won't get you anywhere. They'll simply tell you there are over 70 million others who continue to use Ryanair every year and that figure is growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

sorry now hang on.

your only valid issue here is the fact there was no bus organised for you. Unfortunate I know.

But about circling for a while, and then being diverted to Belfast and looking for a refund;

Would you rather the pilot attempted to land in storm force 10 winds? 15mph off a hurricane? You didn't land as it was extremely unsafe to do so due to weather conditions. It's the luck of the draw. In these circumstances the airline can land where it's safe and transfer you to your destination.
    So I see no issue in circling while waiting for the weather to let up, and then landing in Belfast even though your car is in Dublin. The only issue is that you were't brought to dublin. Ryanair don't have to issue you a refund, except for the part of the journey from belfast to dublin so long as you have a receipt.

These things happen, be annoyed there was no bus, but be happy the pilot didn't land as you or others may not be here to complain.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭Tow

mel1 wrote: »
    Flight was at 9.30 circled Dublin till 11.30

You were lucky to have to have enough fuel to circle for 2 hours!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I followed this thread last night
    Windy Airport
    Have a read of it, you will get an insight into what the pilots went through. You will also see flights that were diverted to Manchester and Glasgow.

The ATC conversations were quite scary.

Tow wrote: »
    You were lucky to have to have enough fuel to circle for 2 hours!
    That's just like the nonsense the Spanish press write. All the Ryanair flights circled around Dublin for a couple of hours. The BA flight went straight to Belfast without hanging around. Two of the Ryanair planes managed to land in Dublin after circling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

alexlyons wrote: »
    sorry now hang on.

your only valid issue here is the fact there was no bus organised for you. Unfortunate I know.

Being stranded 200 km from your final destination is a pretty big bloody issue in fairness. If Ryanair weren't putting on buses (which of course they should have) then they shouldn't have told the passengers they were going to. They should have had the decency to tell passengers about the options available to them. This was more than unfortunate as you put it - it was terrible customer service.

Yes Ryanair have cheap fares and yes they're usually reliable but I wish the bloody 'ryanair are cheap -like it or lump it' brigade would stop and think for a moment before jumping to Ryanair's defence in every situation where they are obviously acting the cnut!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sorry now hang on.

Did you miss the the bit about the five hour wait in the wind and rain outside for a bus that other airlines deemed reasonable to put on?? :confused:

The OP is perfectly entitled to be pi$$ed off, I would be majorly too. Your rant has nothing to do with the OPs complaint. Deal with the issue, not some version you dreamed up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Sorry to hear about this gruesome experience. RyanAir burned their bridges with me in 1999 - they treated me like a dog on that occasion. I have not used them since. Since then, I travel with another airline/ferry or I just don't go at all. Any way but RyanAir - I will never set foot on their planes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

andersat2 wrote: »
    I think no. It's a DAA (Irish State Company) they diverted almost 90 proc flights yesterday to other airports.

2. You have travel insurance?
    If YES - they will compensate your 150 GBP expense on taxi.
    If NO - is that a Ryanair problem?

3. People travelling without having extra cash or money on credit card?
    Is that a Ryanair problem?

4. How much the ticket on Ryanair flight was? 40-60Euros?
    The train from Dublin to Limerick costs normally 60 Eur one way.

Don't like them = Don't fly with them.

You clearly work for Ryanair...

Thats a terrible way to treat your passengers, but I expect nothing less from Ryanair

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Did you miss the the bit about the five hour wait in the wind and rain outside for a bus that other airlines deemed reasonable to put on?? :confused:

The OP is perfectly entitled to be pi$$ed off, I would be majorly too. Your rant has nothing to do with the OPs complaint. Deal with the issue, not some version you dreamed up...

No i didn't. Hence I said he's right to be annoyed about the bus not being there..

What I said does have everything to do with the ops complaint, he was complaining about being diverted in near hurricane force winds, which no pilot or airline has control over. It's just the luck of the draw that a flight that got diverted to Belfast had him on it. Nobody set out to land the plane there it was just the safest thing to do. As I said, the ops complaint about no bus is valid, but the other ones aren't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No i didn't. Hence I said he's right to be annoyed about the bus not being there..

What I said does have everything to do with the ops complaint, he was complaining about being diverted in near hurricane force winds, which no pilot or airline has control over. It's just the luck of the draw that a flight that got diverted to Belfast had him on it. Nobody set out to land the plane there it was just the safest thing to do. As I said, the ops complaint about no bus is valid, but the other ones aren't.

Quote exactly his complaint about the pilot diverting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

To be fair to the OP I believe the issue is with the being left high and not so dry up in Belfast, waiting for a bus which they had been told would bring them to Dublin which was never coming.

Absolute pain in the proverbials to have to divert to Belfast etc - Not Ryanairs fault whatsoever but it still sets a scene and would be in my OP about it too. Some posters here seem to be attacking the OP for being pissed off at being diverted - of course you're going to be pissed off - but I don't think the post here would have been made if that was the only thing that went wrong.

It's 100% unacceptable and indefensible to instruct and then leave 300 passengers waiting outside an airport terminal 200 km from home for a bus transfer that was never coming - no matter how cheap the ticket was in the first place.

The DAA didn't divert the flights. The pilots did, for all airlines. ATC gave them wind information and gave them clearance to land. The pilots decided it was too risky and decided to divert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If you didn't have travel insurance then I wouldn't be expecting much. When you fly Ryanair, part of the reason it is cheap is because it's like placing a bet. you are gambling that everything will run smoothly. If you want you can hedge your bet a bit and get the insurance.

Being honest, while it sucks you got diverted, it's not really their responsibility to do much for you. There are ways to get from Belfast to Dublin, and I for one know I wouldn't be waiting around for Ryanair to sort something for me to save a tenner.

Imagine Ryanair is like a bull. You tame it. I've done that, and have no problems what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

El Spearo wrote: »

Being honest, while it sucks you got diverted, it's not really their responsibility to do much for you. There are ways to get from Belfast to Dublin, and I for one know I wouldn't be waiting around for Ryanair to sort something for me to save a tenner.

Imagine Ryanair is like a bull. You tame it. I've done that, and have no problems what so ever.

the least you would expect is to be left in the correct country. If they diverted to Manchester and left people there would you say its up to you to make your own way home?

the least you would expect is to be left in the correct country. If they diverted to Manchester and left people there would you say its up to you to make your own way home?

No but they diverted to mainland Ireland. Hence a bus service runs. Pretty simple stuff.

If everyone in the country stopped moaning and got on with stuff we'd all live a lot longer. Unless you want Ryanair to chance their arm at landing a plane...then we'll live a lot shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

BGozIE wrote: »
    You clearly work for Ryanair...

Thats a terrible way to treat your passengers, but I expect nothing less from Ryanair

I'm not working for Ryanair.
    I'm just flying with them at least 2-4 times a month.
    And I'm accepting the rules of the game and that's it.
    On 40 minutes flight from Dublin to London I'm not expecting a cabaret show or a free champagne onboard like most of the passengers does. It's a bus. Flying bus.

I'm not working for Ryanair.
    I'm just flying with them at least 2-4 times a month.
    And I'm accepting the rules of the game and that's it.
    On 40 minutes fly from Dublin to London I'm not expecting a cabaret show or a free champagne onboard like most of the passengers does. It's bus. Flying bus.

I do often wonder if people get peeved at Dublin bus. I've had for more unpleasant trips on Dublin Bus than I have with Ryanair.

If you didn't have travel insurance then I wouldn't be expecting much. When you fly Ryanair, part of the reason it is cheap is because it's like placing a bet. you are gambling that everything will run smoothly. If you want you can hedge your bet a bit and get the insurance.

That doesn't mean it's okay for them to lie about it.
    Seriously

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Quote exactly his complaint about the pilot diverting?
    mel1 wrote: »
    Flight was at 9.30 circled Dublin till 11.30 where they then told us we were going to Belfast. Car in Dublin?? Wtf?

there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Hi OP, my father was on your flight last night and he got the bus with Ryanair and Aer Lingus passengers back to Dublin, within an hour. He did relay the poor screaming children and the absolute chaos you describe, plus the taxi men coming in with scribbled signs, and shouting, with their prices going up from 120 to 150 to 200 for a taxi for a group of 4. He says the buses were definitely for both airlines (didn't mention BA etc), but the problem was the number (as you relay) and the fact that no-one was in charge - so that when a bus came there was a stampede from people who were on later flights, i.e. buses were not assigned by time of arrival/flight number. I guess they don't have a major last-minute contingency plan, and didn't foresee it to have drivers available/on-call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Hi OP, my father was on your flight last night and he got the bus with Ryanair and Aer Lingus passengers back to Dublin, within an hour. He did relay the poor screaming children and the absolute chaos you describe, plus the taxi men coming in with scribbled signs, and shouting, with their prices going up from 120 to 150 to 200 for a taxi for a group of 4. He says the buses were definitely for both airlines (didn't mention BA etc), but the problem was the number (as you relay) and the fact that no-one was in charge - so that when a bus came there was a stampede from people who were on later flights, i.e. buses were not assigned by time of arrival/flight number. I guess they don't have a major last-minute contingency plan, and didn't foresee it to have drivers available/on-call.

Mmmm..... You pain a very pleasant picture of your dad. At least we know what it takes to 'tame the bull' as El Spearo suggests.

I am going to book my Summer holidays tonight as I have an offer of an Apt in Spain. I wonlt even look at the Ryanair website. I have no doubt there will be others willing to take my place. They are welcome to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Mmmm..... You pain a very pleasant picture of your dad. At least we know what it takes to 'tame the bull' as El Spearo suggests.
    You're absolutely right. What would Ghandi say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

You purchased a ticket that would get you to Dublin. Not your problem it was windy. The contract was you pay RYANAIR to get you to Dublin. Therefore they should have gotten you to Dublin. End of it.

Yes they should refund you and give you compensation. All 300 of you should get together and chat.

Deise Vu wrote: »

I am going to book my Summer holidays tonight as I have an offer of an Apt in Spain. I wonlt even look at the Ryanair website. I have no doubt there will be others willing to take my place. They are welcome to it.

Battered his way thru with his zimmer upwards.

Never flown Ryanair. Never intend to. Now take Cityjet to London. Normally pay around €85 rtn; get fed, watered and, oh yeah, land in The City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

You purchased a ticket that would get you to Dublin. Not your problem it was windy. The contract was you pay RYANAIR to get you to Dublin. Therefore they should have gotten you to Dublin. End of it.

Yes they should refund you and give you compensation. All 300 of you should get together and chat.

but what if the bus which another ryanair passenger got on was indeed for ryanair and aerlingus passengers ... then the OP had the opportunity to avail of transport from belfast-dublin....which ryanair will no doubt claim they provided and the OP didnt avail of !!!

• Advertisement

Corkbah wrote: »
    but what if the bus which another ryanair passenger got on was indeed for ryanair and aerlingus passengers ... then the OP had the opportunity to avail of transport from belfast-dublin....which ryanair will no doubt claim they provided and the OP didnt avail of !!!

I can't imagine that Aer Lingus would have the gall to expect their passengers to share a bus back to Dublin with Ryanair passengers. :P

In all seriousness, if they weren't checking tickets, I wouldn't be surprised if some Ryanair passengers just ended up on buses provided by the other airlines. No point if standing in the pissing rain and wind if there were available seats on one of the buses.

But whichever of the airlines were responsible for not providing enough buses for their own passengers should be held accountable. My money's on it being Ryanair.

I can't imagine that Aer Lingus would have the gall to expect their passengers to share a bus back to Dublin with Ryanair passengers.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should add that my aging father was strapped to the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One lad I work with told me of his ordeal on his Ryanair flight lastnight. They were fortunate to only be diverted to Shannon and not over in England in the wee hours of the morning with his young family, as many others did. At one point he said he actually gave up! The pilot made an attempt to land but the plane, he said, was shaking and rocking back n forth so much he though that was it! They wouldn't make it!

It must have been terrifying for people on all flights lastnight and I just hope that it won't deter people from flying again and from enjoying all this country has to offer when you do land safely.

So many people were grounded at destinations they didn't ask for, but was done so for safety reasons & I hope people will accept that in time. It may not have been ideal, but at least landings were done safely.

Honestly cannot praise all staff involved with Aviation enough for all they endure and not just last night. Well Done to all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

People actually defending Ryanair in this thread? You got to love boards.ie sometimes. Post anything, literally ANYTHING and guaranteed somebody will find something wrong with you/it.

People actually defending Ryanair in this thread? You got to love boards.ie sometimes. Post anything, literally ANYTHING and guaranteed somebody will find something wrong with you/it.

Oh okay, so because some of us have learned how to use Ryanair properly we shouldn't post our experiences? Totally sorry, thought this was a discussion forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't think the OP has a right to be pissed off at Ryanair for the diverted flight. Pissed off at Mother Nature, yes, Ryanair, no. They didn't come up with the 100MPH winds. What would he prefer? To be at the bottom of the Irish Sea in a crashed plane? Or standing in a bus queue in Belfast.

He is deffo entitled to be pissed off at not getting to Dublin in a timely manner. But is he sure that there were separate planes for BA, Aer Lingus and Ryanair passengers? That sounds a bit daft. Is it possible that there were buses for everyone, regardless of the airline that they were traveling on, and he just wasn't aware of that?

Am no rabid defender of Ryanair, but if I pay 50p for a flight, I kinda expect Ryanair to be making economies in all kinds of areas that perhaps Aer Lingus may not. Aer Lingus, may be perfectly ok with keeping staff on late in Belfast to make sure that a few hundred diverted passengers got to where they needed to go. I wouldn't be surprised if all Ryanair staff knocked off at a set time. If something happens that means they need stay at the airport and work late, too bad. Michael O'Leary ain't gonna pay them over time, so off home they go.

The end result is that the Ryanair passenger has a far worse customer customer service experience, especially if something bad or unexpected happens, than an Aer Lingus customer will have. It sucks when it happens, but it can't come as all that big of a shock if you are only paying 50p for your flight in the first place. There has to be a reason why their flights are as cheap as they are, no?

Oh okay, so because some of us have learned how to use Ryanair properly we shouldn't post our experiences? Totally sorry, thought this was a discussion forum.

Hang on a second, the OP abided by Ryanair's rules and was left stranded in Belfast with no explanation.

Fair enough, they're not responsible for the weather and they got their passengers back on the ground safely but their behaviour after that is indefensible. And no amount of following their rules will help you then...unfortunately.

Bull**** from start to finish tbh.

It doesn't matter how cheap a ticket is, Ryanair have obligations set out by regulations which has nothing to do with the price of the ticket.

Waiting around to save a tenner? Couple of things, would've been more than that per person combining the two buses that each person would have to get. Add to that the fact that whenever you give up on Ryanair providing a bus (that they said they would) it'll be an hour before you're on the bus in Belfast itself. I'd take a wild guess that most people were thinking that if they were to leave and a bus came along in the following hour and a half they would have taken longer to get home by taking the bus to the city centre then to Dublin.

Ryanair isn't a bull, it's a business. I've had nothing but perfectly fine experiences with them, I defend them when idiots "get caught" with baggage stuff, but leaving people stranded 100 miles from their destination in the middle of the night and telling them a bus is coming when it isn't doesn't make up "part of the game".

I accept I often get blinded by the stupidity of people complaining about Ryanair than perhaps I've been a bit harsh with this one. Hands up.

Learned to use and airline...:pac: excellent...

You should do ryanair's marketing campaigns

"Ryanair - learn to live with poor standards"

BGozIE wrote: »
    Learned to use and airline...:pac: excellent...

You should do ryanair's marketing campaigns

"Ryanair - learn to live with poor standards"

I could have a talent for it alright

"Aer Lingus - You pay more, because you can afford to not fly Ryanair"

"Wanna get to exactly where you wanna go? Pay for a taxi. You wanna get there cheap? You take the bus. Go to Ryanair.com"

Everyone seems convinced that Ryanair owe them something. They don't. Ryanair are one of the biggest employers in Ireland and Europe, one of the worlds biggest airlines and companies, and hail from this tiny island in the west? I rather be proud that petty. You know what you are getting into with Ryanair. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a lot of things in my life I am very very greatful for.

ps i did a better job at the marketing there than you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

9.3 of conditions of carraige, the contract of travel on Ryanair flights is it not?
    If, for reasons outside our control, we are unable to land at the airport at your destination and are diverted so as to land at another airport then the carriage by air shall, unless the aircraft continues to the original destination, be deemed to be completed when the aircraft arrives at that other airport. We shall, however, arrange or designate alternative transportation, whether by our own services or by other means of transportation specified by us to carry you to the original destination as set out in your Confirmation/Itinerary without additional cost

As far as I can tell, if they did tell you to make your own way home, they have broken this condition and maybe a case to answer to.

Everyone seems convinced that Ryanair owe them something. They don't. Ryanair are one of the biggest employers in Ireland and Europe, one of the worlds biggest airlines and companies, and hail from this tiny island in the west? I rather be proud that petty. You know what you are getting into with Ryanair. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a lot of things in my life I am very very greatful for.

Ryanair provide a service at a cost that enables many people to make use of air travel who otherwise would not. And they do it while making a profit in an industry and economy where all others around them are on their knees. That's great and should be admired.

However, Southwest Airlines are a similar low cost airline in American and have achieved similar success but have done so while gaining a very positive reputation whereas Ryanair live by their "no such thing as bad press" motto and sometimes seem to go out of their way to screw their passengers. They aren't widely distrusted and even hated by some for no reason.

I suspect that if Ryanair had more public support and a more laudable reputation, then the EU's competition authority might be more likely to sanction its takeover of Aer Lingus and it could then go on from strength to strength and we'd all be the better for it. But instead we're all (most of us anyway) hoping they don't get full control over other airlines so at least we have the choice to travel without being subjected to their shenanigans.

I could have a talent for it alright

"Aer Lingus - You pay more, because you can afford to not fly Ryanair"

"Wanna get to exactly where you wanna go? Pay for a taxi. You wanna get there cheap? You take the bus. Go to Ryanair.com"

ps i did a better job at the marketing there than you did.

I don't think everyone thinks Ryanair owes them anything - other then of course getting from Point of origin, to destination. Which is the default and lowest expectation for an airline...obviously you don't agree??

And this didn't happen in this case...

So what is your expectation of an airline?

Other people not related to the OP case, are merely saying they choose Aer Lingus all day over Ryanair, and you cant begrudge anyone this opinion/choice.

My two cent is I tend to learn towards Aer Lingus for service unless there is a major price difference, in which case I will go for Ryanair.

PS Well done on the marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What I said does have everything to do with the ops complaint, he was complaining about being diverted in near hurricane force winds, which no pilot or airline has control over. It's just the luck of the draw that a flight that got diverted to Belfast had him on it. .

I was listenng to ATC on the night in question, the airport was open for business, the pilots where making the decision to divert not the air traffic controllers. A number of Ryanair planes landed safely in Dublin. You could hear the pilots talking to their own Operations Centre and telling them to arrange buses and overnight accomodation for crew.
    Can't blame Dublin Airport I'm afraid. It's just more disgraceful non-service from Ryanair.
    I can admire somebody offering an economical, super efficeint service but you can't admire exploitation and good old fashioned greed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement