Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word 2007 formatting Macro

Options
  • 04-04-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey All,

I have no experience with macros what so ever, even how to run them. I would appreciate a little help here.

I need to add the word file name (excluding extension) to the header and Page x 0f y to the footer of 650 word 2007 documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

Are you saying go into each document and insert header and footer manually???

:o Apologies I didn't read you post closely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

Any ideas?

inovo wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    Learn a little something about Macros & VBA? :)

If I remember correctly you can "record a macro" and then use that to see what VBA code word uses to accomplish the task; i.e. switch on the record macro then proceed to add the footer as you wish .. when you stop you can look at the VBA code generated to see what it does. Mix that with something like this or maybe even this

that or google a little more and you might get lucky and find someone has done exactly what you want

ps, don't forget to backup before you loose a macro that updates all files in a folder!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I did something similar however I had to use excel + autocad.

1. Make a document that will be your master, containing vba code. I'd suggest excel spreadsheet with list of the files that have to be modified.
    2. VBA code should take file name from the list, open it, modify header, close the file.
    3. move to next file on the list and go to 2. untill reaches end of the list.

useful links:
    opening word file from excel vba

modification of header from vba

You said you have no experiance with vba - don't expect you'll be able to finish in within a couple hours as you have to learn some basics of vba first.

Advertisement