Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.net dialog form size issue

Options
  • 14-03-2013 10:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Posting this as a head-check and wondering if anyone gas seen the issue before..

Background:
    .net 4.0 app written for internal company use, various windows platforms in use but mostly XP pro and W7 pro.

Issue is a simple form that has a textbox entry field and two buttons - OK and Cancel beneath it that is used to edit an entry on the system. The form is displayed using form.showdialog.

On most of both XP and W7 systems everything is fine but on two PC's, the form size, whilst the same pixel WxH, is too small to contain the controls - i.e. the OK/Cancel buttons are slightly beyond the form boundaries and are therefore not clickable.

Now, the two users concerned are known clickaholics and have been pulled up before for installing all sorts of crap from the internet (say no more) but I'm not getting how this could affect a fixed size winform dialog..
    The mighty Google says that I can set the autosize property to contain all controls on the dialog as a workaround but I'm still confused as to why it would display like it does.

Has anyone here experienced this? I'm more looking for a why rather than a fix as it seems to be an anomoly in an otherwise well built framework.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Are the users using standard font sizes / DPI scaling settings?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

dazberry wrote: »
    Are the users using standard font sizes / DPI scaling settings?

D.

This, its a display settings issue without a doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for the pointers guys!
    So, where do I look on the users PC for the offending settings? (yea apart from the obvious CP->then where..) :o

On the flip side, I thought the .net framework was supposed to make this stuff not be a issue - mmm, go ms!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The DPI stuff is in display settings somewhere. Too lazy to boot my Windows PC.

Regarding it automagically working with .Net; why would it? The onus is on the developer to make applications DPI aware (the same is true of Mac OS X) and WinForms are just a wrapper over Win32. They provide layout containers to help you position things without resorting to pixel based coordinates, but it's not something they enforce.

It's much easier to do in XAML.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Steve wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointers guys!
    So, where do I look on the users PC for the offending settings? (yea apart from the obvious CP->then where..) :o
    You might need to look at the display driver settings on the PC, on the right click context menu on the desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For XP, go to Control Panel -> Display, then on the Appearance tab check what the Font Size is set to, then on the Settings Tab click on Advanced and check the DPI setting on the General tab.

For W7 I think it's a little different, just click on Start and type in DPI and it should find the right control panel items for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Haven't gotten an opportunity to check the DPI on the offending boxes yet but will report back if it turns out to be the culprit.. thanks :)

Just to close this out, the only thing I found that this could be attributed to in the users CP were some font size differences.

Short story is that enabling autosize for the dialog sorted the problem. :)

Advertisement