Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know what's best for your dog when they seem unhappy

Options
  • 16-11-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We have a beautiful 8 months Beagle/ Cocker mix. She is very much loved here but I'm not sure if she's getting what she needs with us.

She is left on her own from about half 8 to half 1 during the week, after that someone is always home and more often than not she ends up in the house from the afternoon onwards. We have recently got an outside wooden kennel specially built for her to protect her from the bad weather etc. for days we are not at home. Came home today and she has eaten chunks out of the side of it, torn the felt (not sure if thats the right name, the same as on garden sheds) roofing off of it at the sides, even managed to remove some of the brads that were holding the felt roofing on. Over the last few months she has dug holes large enough to fit herself into in the garden and has been eating bits out of the fencing panels seperating the houses. She has managed to eat almost every single toy we have bought for her, shredded them to little pieces and even swallowing parts of them. We use the kong inside for her and it amuses her for a while but she's not taken in by it.

Even when we are inside and she is out she is constantly whining and what I would describe as crying, she is crated at night and is happy to settle down and we have no problems with her on that score.

My concern is that she seems very sad in herself, while i'm not happy about the state of the garden and shed etc it's not my main concern, i'm more concerned she is so unhappy in her surrounding and that she might choke some day we're not here on something she's chewed up. When we bring her for a run in the park close to us she gets a lease of life, loves running around in circles, following scents. We use the dogmatic head collar to bring her walking as she pulls dreadfully but now she has taken to stopping half ways through the walk and refusing to move so we have been bringing her on more runs that walks,not sure if thats a good thing to do or bad.

I am starting to wonder if she would be better suited to country surroundings where she could run to her hearts content or am I reading too much into her destructive behaviour? Today I felt really guilty that she was seemed so distressed that she was even tearing the roofing off of her kennel but then I am afraid too that if we choose to rehome her that she may be mistreated. When do you know what is the right thing for your dog, how do you come to a decision? All advice very welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

do you ever walk her before you go out in the morning? she couold just be bored? do you bring her inside when she crys when your inside and shes outside? she may just want to be let in for some attention? she is still very young! get some kong toys to chew on in the garden to keep her entertained!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

She seems bored and lonely and is engaging in destructive behaviour to deal with this. Some dogs absolutely crave attention, others are happy to snooze on their own for hours. She is still quite young so perhaps she will become more independent. As Sophie said, a walk before you go out would be great. Not sure what else it could be, 5 hrs after all is not that long a time either. Time to get a companion for her? Is she spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would question how much exercise this dog is getting as she seems bored.

Cockers and Beagles are working dogs so need a lot of stimulation and exercise as they are bred to work and hunt so they need something to keep their mind occupied and active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ok...

Firstly dont panic... she is only eight months old.... still very much a puppy.. cocker love to chew and i mean LOVE to chew... my cocker did the very same, chewed loads of his kennel etc... our trainer recommded the following:

http://www.triequestrian.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=youjoomla.tpl&product_id=1844&category_id=95&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=15

This stuff is excellnt i got it in a equesterian store... if you canoot source this the try rubiing vick vapou rub around the kennel.. just until she learns to to chew it etc...

How often is she excercised??

Cocker / beagles need a good bit of execersie.. not just for the physical for the mental stimualtion also.. they love to smell and sniff around...

when someone is home at 1pm is she walked?? or can someone kick the football around with her?? This will tire her out... i got this one for my cocker... it drives him mental (in a good way)

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/146815

I go running with my cocker 4 nights per week, 5K and he's loves it.... he is knackered the next day and sleeps like a baby all day...

have you though of leaving her some bones?? ie stuffed bones??

Here are lots of toys to keep her occupied...

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/puppy_toys

Cockers need mental stimualtion... not just being in the house.. so maybe someone could walk her or play ball with her... or do some training with her... all the interaction will help her be a happy cocker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PuppyLove

Thanks all for the replies. Have to put my hands up and say I don't walk her before work, getting kids ready is a struggle but will put the effort in and see if that makes a difference.

I have never owned a dog before and despite have bought numerous books and dvds etc I think nothing beats advice from people who have experience of same. She is spayed and had thought about getting her a companion but it would worry me leaving another dog with her while no one would be around to keep an eye on them, she's very dominant when we meet other dogs, takes on the boss role.

She usually gets her run around 3 ish for about 20 mins or so, during this time she is on a 50ft lead rope because she ran off the last time and I thought we had lost her so afraid to let her off, has no fear or concept of cars etc. She's then usually brought for either another run or a walk about half 6 or 7, this is where she is sitting down and refuses to walk so more often than not we bring her for a run, again for 20 mins or so.

In the mornings before we leave the house I fill a bouncy treat ball for her and that would keep her occupied for about half an hour, I've seen her interact with it at weekends or sometimes I would refill when home from work.

Ideally how much exercise should she be getting and for how long each session. Should I persist on the walking even if it means dragging her along or are the running around sniffing out sessions ok for her. Apologies for my ignorance it just appears that every book I pick up says different things, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Start walking her before work. It will tire her out before she's left alone.

Some breeds are notorious for chewing and even eating wood, stones etc.

If walking doesnt stop it take her to the vet to make sure there are no underlying problems or nutrition issues.

Make sure you give her plenty of toys to play with when your not arround too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This article might be helpful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Both beagles and cockers are working dogs as others have said, for an adult 2-3 hours plus, a bit less as she is still a puppy but definately needs more exercise than she is getting. If she had a companion it would help burn off some of the energy but she is still quite young and it would probably be best to get a handle on her before getting another dog, you would also be looking at something like minded to keep up with her, then you'd have two of them :p Have you thought about taking her to agility classes or anything like that? I'd probably be inclined to get up half an hour earlier and take her for a walk/run in the morning then crate her to keep out of harms way when everyone is out, as you've said in your previous post she's fine with the crate at night and should be happy enough to go back in it after she's had a bit of exercise, been feed and been to the toilet.

What percentage of protein is in the food you have been feeding her? Too much protein is often the cause of excessive energy.

Continued thanks for all the links and feedbacks, it helps alot. I really need to up her exercise then and hopefully will see the change. She's currently being moved off of Royal Canin onto Burns dogfood, we are just over the one week mark on it but have to do it gradually because she does suffer with a sensitive tummy so hopefully will have her fully on Burns by next week as someone on another thread suggested it could possibly have something to do with her energy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Which one of the Burns foods are you changing her to OP? I ask because too much of a drop too quickly could make her very hungry, If it's one of the adult foods I'd feed her half and half for a month or two before getting rid or the RC completely.

• Advertisement

Hi, she's on the 6months plus chicken and Rice one, it's 18.5% protein. Her previous Royal Canin one was 28% protein, should I reduce it over a month then, was going to do it over 2 weeks?

PuppyLove wrote: »
    Hi, she's on the 6months plus chicken and Rice one, it's 18.5% protein. Her previous Royal Canin one was 28% protein, should I reduce it over a month then, was going to do it over 2 weeks?

Yes, I'd even do it over 2 months, I'm getting this info from the Burns nutritionalist in Wales who I contacted for advice on which of the foods would suit my dog as she has food intollerances. I had her on Hills Puppy which is 27.8% protein. Burns actually do a great little booklet on nutrition which they can post to you free on request. I can post an e-mail address for them if you wish to contact them for advice and to request the booklet ;)

Yes, I'd even do it over 2 months, I'm getting this info from the Burns nutritionalist in Wales who I contacted for advice on which of the foods would suit my dog as she has food intollerances. I had her on Hills Puppy which is 27.8% protein. Burns actually do a great little booklet on nutrition which they can post to you free on request. I can post an e-mail address for them if you wish to contact them for advice and to request the booklet ;)

Adrenalinjunkie, that is great information thank you and yes if you wouldn't mind giving me the e-mail address I'd be delighted, many thanks.:)

PuppyLove wrote: »
    Adrenalinjunkie, that is great information thank you and yes if you wouldn't mind giving me the e-mail address I'd be delighted, many thanks.:)

All the contact info is on this page:

http://www.burnsireland.com/pb/wp_5e0ebb5c/wp_5e0ebb5c.html

Advertisement