Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats wont use scratching post

Options
  • 16-11-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

hey! so as the title says my cat wont use their new scratching post. Ive only ever had those scratching mat things and after a recent attack on my couch i decided i better buy a proper post.

It came with Some smelly stuff and i sprinkled it on the post as the instructions said but they have sniffed it and just ignored it since i got it on sat. I thought if i left it they would do it on their own accord but no luck so far.

They are male and female bro and sis 1 year old
    Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Good luck with that :D

I've got wallpaper pulled off the wall, curtains in ribbons and the couch is in flitters. The only thing in my gaff in good nick is the scratching post.

I gave up a long time ago and I'm now immune to the sound of claws on fabric 'cos they just seem to use whatever they want, and that's that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

On a more serious note; perhaps this might be of some use http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-scratching-furniture.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

http://www.catscratching.com/

recently used this website and has helped although Gizmo is a kitten so maybe easier to train. best of luck though

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I know this might seem stupid - but when I got the scratching post for the first time, I sat scratching at it myself so the kittens would figure out what its for! They were intrigued!

Do you have the carpet covered ones or the one with the ropey stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A friend of mine had the same problem, couch was in bits. Scratching post pristine. I told him to get a water-spray type thingy. Put water and some lemon juice in it and spray the cat everytime he scratched the couch. I think he got the message after two sprays. Now he uses the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I made the mistake recently of buying a post that was too small for him, so the poor thing is often found with the post hanging off one paw wondering what the hell hes done. I brought him up to and physically got his paws and scratched them off it. Didnt go near it for a few days,now he loves it...except its too feckin small,but thats my fault. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

forget the scratching post, buy a sisal doormat and watch it get shredded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

thanks guys!

I read the links and i mite try the water gun thing, it seems a bit mean but im sure it will deter them cos my couch and the carpet on the stairs are targeted, and its a rented house so ive to mind the furniture. I dont think they'll be too impressed with me after i squirt them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

From one of the links
    Place his paws on the scratching post and simulate scratching.
    I've done this to a very grumpy cat that was in no mood to scratch the post.

What I found worked was sit the cat beside it and run it's favourite toy up and down it as soon at it pounces they'll have to scratch a little to get their claws out and it should quickly learn(but also put it beside where it normally scratches)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

planetX wrote: »
    forget the scratching post, buy a sisal doormat and watch it get shredded.
    I got one of these for about a tenner and my cat LOVES scratching his claws on it. No amount of persuasion ever made him use his scratching post, but those mats are made of similar stuff and my cat uses it all the time now, instead of the carpet on the stairs and the sofa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Where have you put the scratching post?

Advertisement