Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best steriliser?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Searched for a thread and the only one I could find was over a year old!

Ok so, first baby, nearly 30 weeks so thinking we had better get a move on!

Any recommendations for a steriliser? Which is better electric or steam? Any particular make and model?

Hoping to breast feed but want a really decent one in case that doesn't work out.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have the Avent electric steriliser and no problems wit it. Fits six bottles at a time, takes about ten mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 firemansammie

I have the avent microwave one, no probs either 6 bottles done in 6 mins. I didnt sterilise for long though!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Get a 24 or 48 hour plug n one to save your self time.
    I found it annoying have to go through the whole cycle for every feed or every time I needed to pump so ditched the initial one in favour of a 48 hour one and it is brilliant,we have a micro one for travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

We use the Avent microwave one and find it great because its fast (6mins in our 800w microwave, as little as 2mins in a more powerful one) and its chemical free. It also fits other brands of bottles too like Tommee and Dr Brownes.

I'd first off decide if you are comfortable with chemical sterilising or steam, then consider storage and space you have - electric one will need counter top space in your kitchen most likely, we leave the microwave one inside the microwave out of the way until we need to use either of them. Finally consider things like portability - will you need to take it for over nights visits etc. That'll help narrow down which type, and then look at what brand of bottles you will be using, if you'll have a breast pump that'll need sterilising too, and once you know those factors it'll be easier to pick the type of steriliser you need and then find the one that best fits the equipment you'll be putting in it. Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Hi I was just wondering is a steriliser neccesary?I had my little one in usa and they don't use one there really.You are told to wash bottles in the dishwasher and this is all they need.I bottle fed my daughter and used the dishwasher for bottles with no problems.I plan to breastfeed this time around but I am thinking about getting some bottle stuff also just incase it doesn't work out and also to supplement and let daddy feed baby also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dishwashers in The US operate at higher temperatures then dishwashers here and as a result sterilise the bottles while washing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

great thanks for that moombeam,another item to add to the shopping list so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I'm starting to think (since ill be breast feeding fingers crossed) that I might just get a microwave steriliser and mainly use Milton for the pump and the few expressed bottles?

The little lunch box ones are great.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Travel-Steriliser_120978/

we have one for travelling and the grandparents have one each in their houses:)

For every day use though I would definately get a plug in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The little lunch box ones are great.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Travel-Steriliser_120978/

we have one for travelling and the grandparents have one each in their houses:)

For every day use though I would definately get a plug in one.

I like the sound of the microwave one as we don't have a lot of work top space. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't get this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd go for a microwave one if you're going to breastfeed, handy for pump parts if you want to express later on. The electric ones are big and bulky, and if you're breastfeeding, they're overkill really. And they are a space eater!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used a microwave sterilizer and it was perfect. I breastfed but I needed to sterilize the pump bits and pieces as well as a couple of bottles. The mothercare one is identical to the boots one but much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yellow hen the microwave one is the size of a large lunchbox so not really practical if you're using bottles all the time.

Yellow hen the microwave one is the size of a large lunchbox so not really practical if you're using bottles all the time.

thanks, I am hoping to breastfeed but if it doesnt happen for me, I want to be prepared to bottlefeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Just to note, the Avent microwave one takes 6 full size bottles, nothing like any lunch box size I've ever seen :p I use it for the breast pump and soothers atm, but on previous babies would have used it for the 8oz bottles when we swapped to formula feeds. Six bottles was sufficient for 24hrs of feed so it was perfectly practical and we'd only use it once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I never bothered buying one. I breastfeeding so didn't need it except for the pump parts, which I boiled for 5 minutes them drained upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

love my avent electrical one - when i was breast feeding i used it for my pump and occasionally a bottle used for expressed milk. now i use formula and it fits 6 dr browns or 6 avent bottles (both 9oz) in.
    When im away from home i just bring a dr browns steriliser microwave bag with me - takesup no space in luggage and fits up to 2 bottles - but its expensive so if im travelling in ireland i just bring the electrical one! actually now since she 8 months i dont bring it - just rinse in boiling water.... controversial i know. i still sterilise wen im at home - some of my friends are shocked im still at it - but its only once a day and very little hassle.

I think I'm sold on the micro steriliser. For anyone interested the avent one s currently €12.50 in smyths compared with €40 in eurobaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

I got the Avent Electric one and it`s been fantastic for when I was breastfeeding, the odd bottle and pump parts etc. and big enough now for when we`re using 7 bottles daily with formula/expressed milk.
    It doesn`t take up much space on counter top, quite slimline rather than the round ones.

Ive seen it for sale in Mothercare €79.99 and Argos €69.99 but cheapest so far was Smyths toys €45.99
    http://www.toys.ie/Avent-Electric-3-in-1-Steriliser-!117973-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=dd637dd8-7d61-4712-ac8d-d0602bea74be

Just picked up an advent steam steriliser on sale for 14.99 (half price) in mothercare. It only takes 4 bottles but like I said hoping to breast feed pretty much exclusively... Did I do the right thing?

• Advertisement

Ha ha just saw there that's it in smiths for 12.50! Doh!

Piper101 wrote: »
    Ha ha just saw there that's it in smiths for 12.50! Doh!

the one in Smiths was the six bottle steriliser but they're all gone now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

That Avnet sterilizer in Smyths goes for half price every two months it seems!! This is the third time in my pregnancy its been on sale! I bought it a couple of months ago on half price sale at smyths. If nothing else you can buy the same exact thing new from amazon for the same price as the Smyths sale! :)

Rachineire wrote: »
    That Avnet sterilizer in Smyths goes for half price every two months it seems!! This is the third time in my pregnancy its been on sale! I bought it a couple of months ago on half price sale at smyths. If nothing else you can buy the same exact thing new from amazon for the same price as the Smyths sale! :)
    It's £18.99 on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

yellow hen wrote: »
    It's £18.99 on amazon
    Rats! Maybe you can reserve it for the 12.50 price on the smyths website with their on the shelf guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I just got the tommie tippie one fits 4 bottles microwave. It also takes breast pump parts so does us for now as I am mainly bf but also have to express for now as little one is not gaining enough weight. I was wondering those of you who bf and expressed, if I express after every feed do I also have to sterilise after every pump? I have heard that if I put pump parts into fridge after each use I only need to sterilise once a day. But I want to be sure. Sorry to hijack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I used to express a bit after every feed - I kept the pump in the fridge all day and just added to it - in the evening I used to transfer the milk to a freezer bag or else use it, and then sterilise the pump once a day.
    Was really embarrassing when the in laws and my brothers came to stay... Half full breast pump... Haha! Awkward!
    It was the avent manual one I used - I want to get a medela electric pump this time for speed and ease. Hope it works as well - will have the manual on standby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HollyGC

I am interested to know this to as am 32 weeks pregnant hope to breastfeed but we will see. My issue is I don't have a microwave and don't plan getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We had a microwave one at the start but TBH, I found it a pain in the arse, it took up so much space and if you were to make up the bottles fresh one at a time (this is the recommendation from the HSE), it was a total waste having to sterilise one at a time. Switched to a milton cold water steriliser when we got a tommee tippee perfect prep machine and we haven't looked back since. You basically fill the steriliser with water, add a milton sterilising tablet and the bottles are sterilised in 15 minutes. They will stay sterile in the solution for 24 hours and you don't need to rinse before use so you can just take the stuff out and use as you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

We had a microwave one at the start but TBH, I found it a pain in the arse, it took up so much space and if you were to make up the bottles fresh one at a time (this is the recommendation from the HSE), it was a total waste having to sterilise one at a time. Switched to a milton cold water steriliser when we got a tommee tippee perfect prep machine and we haven't looked back since. You basically fill the steriliser with water, add a milton sterilising tablet and the bottles are sterilised in 15 minutes. They will stay sterile in the solution for 24 hours and you don't need to rinse before use so you can just take the stuff out and use as you need it.

One at a time is not the only recommendation of the HSE. In the recommendations it states you can make bottles for 24hrs as long as you refrigerate them, so the avent microwave one is ideal, 6 8oz bottles 24hrs, you only need to make the once a day.

Page 5

Store the bottles in a clean place. If put together correctly
    the empty bottles and bottles with sterile water will be
    safe for 24 hours. If not used within 24 hours, sterilise
    again. Once you open a bottle to add water or powder it is
    not sterile.

https://www.safefood.eu/SafeFood/media/SafeFoodLibrary/Documents/Publications/Consumer/Baby-Bottle-Feed-2012.pdf

Page 7

If you
    need to prepare feeds in advance to use later, make up individual
    bottles, cool them quickly and place in the back of the fridge (5°C or
    below). Throw away any feed in the fridge that you have not used
    within 24 hours.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby%27s_bottle_feed.pdf

Advertisement