Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat B6 key fob problem

• 30-08-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Has anybody come across this or moreover how to cure it?

My wife was saying to me that when trying to unlock / lock the doors of the of the passat. I thought it was a weak battery so I replaced that but to no avail.

Basically what's happening is that it is taking multiple attempts to open /close the central locking although it can be hit and miss (Sometimes the first press). The red light flashes when the unlock / lock button is pressed and the key starts the car no problem.

Where is the location inside the car that picks up the signal from the car when pressed from the outside?

I only have one key so am kinda snookered.

Thanks

Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Moanin wrote: »
    Has anybody come across this or moreover how to cure it?

My wife was saying to me that when trying to unlock / lock the doors of the of the passat. I thought it was a weak battery so I replaced that but to no avail.

Basically what's happening is that it is taking multiple attempts to open /close the central locking although it can be hit and miss (Sometimes the first press). The red light flashes when the unlock / lock button is pressed and the key starts the car no problem.

Where is the location inside the car that picks up the signal from the car when pressed from the outside?

I only have one key so am kinda snookered.

Thanks

Adrian

Anybody?

Moanin wrote: »
    Anybody?

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

One of my keys has stopped operating the the central locking entirely (as in it never works) but it does still start the car.

Likewise I changed the battery but made no difference. A quick Google suggested that this is not an uncommon problem with the Passat B6 (to be added to the long list of outer common problems with this model, easily the worst car I have ever owned) and needs re-coding of the key by a VW dealer.

Bit mystified as to how yours works sometimes as it generally seems to be a case of ceasing the work the central locking completely.

Just checked mine and the dud key won't open the CL no matter how many times I try it must get around to getting it re-coded one of these days before the other key stops working too.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    One of my keys has stopped operating the the central locking entirely (as in it never works) but it does still start the car.

Likewise I changed the battery but made no difference. A quick Google suggested that this is not an uncommon problem with the Passat B6 (to be added to the long list of outer common problems with this model, easily the worst car I have ever owned) and needs re-coding of the key by a VW dealer.

Bit mystified as to how yours works sometimes as it generally seems to be a case of ceasing the work the central locking completely.

Just checked mine and the dud key won't open the CL no matter how many times I try it must get around to getting it re-coded one of these days before the other key stops working too.

My first port of call is to get the car scanned. I'm getting this done on Monday to see if there's anything going on with the central locking module. If the scan throughs up nothing I may have to go down the key recoding route. If this is the case I think I will just get a new key. If I use the blade in the key it will lock and unlock the driver door but my question is will the alarm go off when I open the door? I believe it will........

Scanned the car today and came up with the following:

01176 104 key sporadic 008 implausible signal.

Can anybody shed some light on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Could be the fob itself. There's an explanation on the link below and possible causes on the code 01176.

A locksmith should be able to test the fob for you.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01176

So I was talking to main dealer re reprogramming existing key or the option of getting a new key.

The service advisor told me that sometimes once they recode a key that it loses the coding after a few weeks.

Cost fore recoding €65

New key cost €240.

Anybody experience of getting a key recoded and loosing it's coding after a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TechShop

I have same problem. Just by times I cannot get into car. Its like it jspoens in damp weather or frostbor something. The key to open the door will make the noise its unlocking but nothing so my boot opens and I climb in and squeese in or get someone small to climb in with car keys, turn the ignition then open the door. Passat b6 worst made. Spent thousands on this and nothing but conrods blowing out and flywheel and clutches and hundreds more. I'd never get s vw again. Older ones were bullet proof. That's the only way I get into car is by the boot. I wonder is it anything to do with this button behind drivers door where your safety belt is?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

For anyone experiencing this problem, I got the fob working again. I took the hidden key out of the fob, put it in the driver's door lock, turned fully clockwise then anti-clockwise, then pressed a button on the fob. The fob was then working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nod3Million

I know this is an old thread but any update on this?

My 07 Passat keyfob wont open the car unless I use the fob to open the boot and then use the key to insert in the door to open that way, its bizaare. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I know this is an old thread but any update on this?

My 07 Passat keyfob wont open the car unless I use the fob to open the boot and then use the key to insert in the door to open that way, its bizaare. Any suggestions?

Have you tried what I suggested ?

Advertisement