Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambda sensor (oxygen sensor)

• 15-06-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I think they are the same thing but Im not sure.
    The engine light comes on on my 1999 1.4 petrol astra after 2 minutes of driving for the last few weeks.
    I suspect the lambada sensor is the problem but Im not sure, apart from the light the car runs perfect when the lights on or off. That sensor costs 80 euros so before I spend that money are there any other typical issues that cause this problem? Thanks in advance for any help O.A.P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

take out the sensor (special socket needed) u may be lucky and open ended spanner might fit! clean the end of sensor with wd40 / similar and wire wool,or very FINE sandpaper,clean out all the holes/ slots and clean all the burnt carbon off it. spray some brake cleaner into the holes and let it dry out fully. burnt carbon stuck to sensor is usually the cause of this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

take out the sensor (special socket needed) u may be lucky and open ended spanner might fit! clean the end of sensor with wd40 / similar and wire wool,or very FINE sandpaper,clean out all the holes/ slots and clean all the burnt carbon off it. spray some brake cleaner into the holes and let it dry out fully. burnt carbon stuck to sensor is usually the cause of this problem

Thanks for that and that was my plan today but a quick look at the haynes manual recommends not cleaning the sensor because its too delicate that and the fact I couldn't get a spanner close enough to the manifold.
    If tomorrow is dry i'll have another go is this the most likely cause of the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Read fault code(s) first. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

OP, have you any reason for thinking that the lambda is at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Would you not consider spending part of that €80 on a proper diagnosis instead of buying a sensor that very unlikely to be the problem.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    Would you not consider spending part of that €80 on a proper diagnosis instead of buying a sensor that very unlikely to be the problem.
    No I plan to take it out and clean it first which wont cost anything, but may fix the problem.
    What is the more lightly cause of the problem then. I don't have a code reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

O.A.P wrote: »
    No I plan to take it out and clean it first which wont cost anything, but may fix the problem.

It's not possible to say without checking the basics. First thing would be to check for stored fault codes, this will give some direction. Otherwise you're just guessing and working in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As said, check for fault codes it could be anything, general signs of a faulty lambda could be high emissions , engine running rough through revs or idle if it's not showing that then I see no reason to think it could be at fault.

Get a diag done or buy the cables and software yourself for less than €80 and run the check , at least you'll have them for future then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

O.A.P wrote: »

where do you live someone close might have a reader and kindly scan it for you otherwise go to garage and get it read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Do not spray WD40 or any chemical onto the O2 sensor. If it itsn't faulty, doing this might well kill it totally.

As others have said, it needs to be code read. Changing parts on a "hit and hope" basis is the wrong way to go! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

^^^^^This.

OP, there is no reason to assume a lambda sensor is the fault over any of the dozens of other sensors on your engine. You really are pointlessly shooting in the dark with what your are doing.

Ok I will leave it alone, good job it lashed rain all day yesterday :). How much for and where would I get a decent entry level code reader, that will work on different makes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

For a 99 you'll be OBD1 the hand held one's for that are hard to come by, maybe get a diag program download for the laptop and a KKL cable have a look on ebay..

I've used one of these a while back on an 1999 Astra G (diesel).

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Car-fault-reader-code-scanner-diagnostic-tool-OBD-2-CAN-/140990233154?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20d3ac3a42

OP, if you're interested, PM the seller and confirm it will work on your car. The diagnostic socket in your car is under the scuttle plate between the gearstick and handbrake.

If you're living anywhere near me, I'll plug my scantool in and do the needful for you. All it will cost is your fuel over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

shamwari wrote: »
    If you're living anywhere near me, I'll plug my scantool in and do the needful for you. All it will cost is your fuel over!

x2 if you live near me.

in fact if you say where you live roughly, i'd be surprised if there wasn't a boardsie nearby willing to help.

x2 if you live near me.

in fact if you say where you live roughly, i'd be surprised if there wasn't a boardsie nearby willing to help.

+1 I have the torque app plus dongle, however it didnt work on a 97 corsa, but if your close by no problem trying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

cletus wrote: »
    +1 I have the torque app plus dongle, however it didnt work on a 97 corsa, but if your close by no problem trying

How good is that app. Where can you get that dongle. Would love to get my punto checked

cena wrote: »
    How good is that app. Where can you get that dongle. Would love to get my punto checked

Google elm327 bluetooth dongle, they're all over the net. The app is very good, but be aware it wont work with every car. Think the website lists compatible makes and models.
    If your car has an engine light on, same offer as i made to OAP, if you're close to me I'll run the app on your car

cletus wrote: »
    I've got a cheapie handheld which works on the Opels, but I've also got Gendan's EngineCheck Pro and VAUXcheck which is GM specific. Any one of the three should do the OP's car
    cena wrote: »

I've got Fiat MultiECUscan which will work on with everything on that car (ABS, Airbags etc). EngineCheckPro does power train quite well too.

What's up with your Punto?

Thanks for all the offers to help me out lads .
    Im in Ennis and will see what I can find on the web, I'll get that KKL cable anyway and work from there.
    Any excuse for more tools ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hi guys. My partner had to get the oxygen sensor replaced on her 2005 peugot 206. It cost €150 in all to get replaced and fitted, does that sound right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

loads of scan readers here,all prices,types . some are "universal" and some may be specific to certain makes of car , so check care fullly before ya buy.:)
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=obd+reader&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Advertisement