Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car chugging and revs when not in gear

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi, my car started chugging, wouldnt accellorate, and reved even when no pressure on accellorater, and noticed huge plumes of black smoke from exhause, waiting for machanic tomorrow, but really worried as to what it could be and more to the point - the cost of it, any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi, my car started chugging, wouldnt accellorate, and reved even when no pressure on accellorater, and noticed huge plumes of black smoke from exhause, waiting for machanic tomorrow, but really worried as to what it could be and more to the point - the cost of it, any info would be appreciated!

Model? Year? Petrol/diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

05 chevrolet tacuma petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Black smoke usually means a fuel mix issue. It could be one of several things and thus price to fix can vary.
    Does the smoke smell like petrol?

The mech will probably check error codes and be able to tell you from that what's wrong. Any warning lights on dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

it stinks, but no couldnt say its petrol, and I know its not a fuel problem - didnt put in wrong fuel, bad fuel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry, by fuel mix issue I mean it's too much fuel to air ratio, hence the black smoke and chugging.
    It could be fuel injectors or something else mixing the fuel wrong. Remains to see what it actually is before it can be priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

looks like same as mine, i was told piston rings ? What did your mechanic say?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

sounds like lambda sensor and catalytic concerter issue..could be expensive. let us know how you get on

Advertisement