Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Electoral Registers 1885-1886

Options
  • 20-05-2016 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

FMP have just uploaded some info on Irish Electoral Registers 1885-1886. Very few counties on the whole its disappointing. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Remarkably few people would have been able to vote in the 1880s anyway. AfAIR, these were on Origins as was.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1885 was the start of a large expansion of franchise, the Third Reform Act, which brought the vote to about half of men (and no women). If your family were rural and not wealthy they are unlikely to be registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

L1011 wrote: »
    1885 was the start of a large expansion of franchise, the Third Reform Act, which brought the vote to about half of men (and no women). If your family were rural and not wealthy they are unlikely to be registered.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it is the point being made. There are 11 counties listed, just a third, but the advert states :-

"Ireland, Electoral Registers 1885-1886 Browse
    Search for your Irish ancestors in 1885 and 1886 in electoral registers from the British Library. Explore this unique browse search feature and read through pages of electoral registers. Search by county or constituency."

That is misleading to say the least!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When was a collection on a commercial site not, erm, "over-described" to say the least though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

It's only the Browse function that's new. The records themselves have been on FMP for nearly a year.

The worst part of the description for this collection is this -

"These registers are a special resource for family historians because you can discover your ancestors in an exact location between the census years."

Oh yeah? Which years are those, then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

It's only the Browse function that's new. The records themselves have been on FMP for nearly a year.

The worst part of the description for this collection is this -

"These registers are a special resource for family historians because you can discover your ancestors in an exact location between the census years."

Oh yeah? Which years are those, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

These 'new' registers date from 1885/6.
    Surviving Irish censuses are 1901 and 1911.

L1011 wrote: »
    When was a collection on a commercial site not, erm, "over-described" to say the least though? :pac:

There is 'over-described' and then there is downright misleading! :pac: (I come from a business discipline where you get closed up for the latter!)

There is 'over-described' and then there is downright misleading! :pac: (I come from a business discipline where you get closed up for the latter!)

I've worked in IT/comms or actual media organisations for my entire life, I think I'm an expert at overselling without breaking regulations at this stage :pac:

Aaaah, IT, that explains overselling! They are the worst IMO, Remember the IT dept. in a certain bank - what was their fine again for 'helping customers' by 'upgrading systems'?:p
    I'm not picking on FMP per se, I just find all of the geno companies are guilty of over-hype. It's just a matter of time before one gets smacked down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Tychoo wrote: »
    FMP have just uploaded some info on Irish Electoral Registers 1885-1886. Very few counties on the whole its disappointing. :(

I looked at one county - Roscommon. Two constituencies, but only one polling district in each; Ballinlough and Keadew, perhaps 10% of the electorate, maybe less, and this in one of only eleven counties.

This is serious over selling, and brings the company into disrepute.

Coming on top of other recent controversies, FMP need to get their act together, if they want to survive commercially.

Advertisement