Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My computer is making a overheating noise, should I worry?

Options
  • 21-05-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Lately I have noticed that my laptop keeps making a whurring sound as if it is overheating. The machine might be warm but it starts doing this from nearly at switch on and then stops and later on, the whurring noise comes on again.. Should I worry?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    Lately I have noticed that my laptop keeps making a whurring sound as if it is overheating. The machine might be warm but it starts doing this from nearly at switch on and then stops and later on, the whurring noise comes on again.. Should I worry?
    You may have to open it up and clean out the dust in the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes you should worry,
    see how much space there is on the drive,
    is drive c full ,
    free up at least 5gig .
    maybe fan needs cleaning .
    laptops work better with free space on the hard drive .
    You can download a program ,free that tells you the cpu temp,
    grahics card tempeture .
    This can tell you if the laptop is overheating to a dangerous level .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭Goshen

I'm hearing Bollywood reading the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

I have plenty of space on the ;aptop. It is probably the dust in the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    I have plenty of space on the ;aptop. It is probably the dust in the fan.

Never had an issue with overfull hardisk causing heating issues -

but my guess is It could be a virus/malware/flash/java app that is causing your pc to work harder than it used to - use msconfig to reduce what loads at startup. Malwarebytes to remove unwanted junk.

Could also be a change in surface that the laptop is on - surface its on should not block any air vents (carpet or on bed = very bad)

Id test the above first - if it was a dusty/blocked fan conduit you wouldn't see it overheat from the start - it would work normally for a while and then overheat after a few minutes - these can be hard to clean in some laptops - I cleaned one that was far too much hassle to dismantle with a can of compressed air once - laptop survived :) (your results may vary..)

“Roll it back”

Advertisement