Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using win 7 as virtual

Options
  • 20-05-2015 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Are you allowed to use your own win 7 installation as a virtual as well as on a real pc. it is my legit win 7 disk came with pc. I want a virtual environment to test some programs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

From a legal standpoint you would have to buy another licence for the Windows 7 VM. You may only use your product licence for one installation at one time. A VM would count as a new install.
    You can install Win 7 to a VM and use it until they cop on it hasn't been acyivated and let you know about it.
    Other methods are available but I cannot mention them on open forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FARADAYCAGED

excollier wrote: »
    From a legal standpoint you would have to buy another licence for the Windows 7 VM. You may only use your product licence for one installation at one time. A VM would count as a new install.
    You can install Win 7 to a VM and use it until they cop on it hasn't been acyivated and let you know about it.
    Other methods are available but I cannot mention them on open forum.
    only a month i think

Yeah that'd be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I dual boot one of my machines Linux and Windows 7 and don't have any problem running Windows 7 as a VM in Linux and Linux as a VM in Windows 7.

I don't have two Windows 7 operating simultaneously but the VM version activated without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FARADAYCAGED

FSL wrote: »
    I dual boot one of my machines Linux and Windows 7 and don't have any problem running Windows 7 as a VM in Linux and Linux as a VM in Windows 7.

I don't have two Windows 7 operating simultaneously but the VM version activated without any problems.
    you can't test windows progs in linux though can you? which linux do you use. ubuntu is nice but it has or had a system where searches were routed to amazon

• Advertisement

Some (few) windows programmes can be run under Wine on Linux. I am currently running Cisco Packet Tracer with Play on Linux, a Wine front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can run your W7 vm in linux and test your programmes in the Virtual Machine. You can still access all files and folders on the hard drives. I've used a variety of distros. Fedora, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS. I have used the same W7 virtual machine on both Linux and XP when W7 was first launched and I wanted to check the compatibility of software developed for XP on W7. It did require a small tweek to one of the VBox config files so that it didn't think the hardware had changed and needed reactivation every time you switched OS.

Advertisement