Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ibox - new iptv service

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,
    Noticed this today on google play. A tv service over the internet. I downloaded the app to my galaxy s2, and its working well. Signed up for a month to see if I get much use out of it. Any one using it on a TV yet?

http://www.ibox.ie

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That's interesting. Is it legal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

I dunno, but it works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They are basically charging you €20 a month for free to air and Saorview channels. Seems massively excessive for the home TV option, considering you could get a much better selection of channels for not a lot more with the basic package from either Sky or UPC, or you could get all of those channels for nothing with a FTA dish and Soarview setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mdl100

I don't know if I'd agree with you there. Cant comment on Sky but I have the UPC basic pack and its very poor. You don't even get the +1 channels. I've thought about the FTA option but its a big outlay, a dish, an aerial, two boxes etc and your left with two remotes, two epgs and so on. I know there are some combo boxes but apparently they only have Now and Next on epg for satellite. I've got a Logitech Revue myself which I use for Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo etc. From the iBox site it looks like there is no setup charge if you have your own Google box. I'm going to sign up for a month and try it. Will post later on how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No HD channels though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mdl100 wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd agree with you there. Cant comment on Sky but I have the UPC basic pack and its very poor. You don't even get the +1 channels. I've thought about the FTA option but its a big outlay, a dish, an aerial, two boxes etc and your left with two remotes, two epgs and so on. I know there are some combo boxes but apparently they only have Now and Next on epg for satellite. I've got a Logitech Revue myself which I use for Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo etc. From the iBox site it looks like there is no setup charge if you have your own Google box. I'm going to sign up for a month and try it. Will post later on how I get on.

My point is that they are charging you €20 a month for something that is freely available at no monthly cost. The outlay on a FTA system is not huge; Id hazard a guess that the cost of getting someone out to set you up with a FTA/Saorview setup would be less than what you would pay these guys in a year.

If you are wired for UPC then you can get all the channels this service offers, plus quite a few of the decent channels for roughly the same monthly price, and with UPC there is no outlay on the equipment.

Im not really trying to knock this service; I just dont really see how it makes much sense when they are basically reselling a free product for the same money that could get you better options elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Passenger

Hmmm, The small outlay and minimum commitment would suit me.

I am on the Tier 2 UPC package and have Favourites setup so I don't have to trawl through the ****e. I agree with mdl100 on the +1 channel front. Seems this has a better core offering. If I could watch Netflix, TV and stream 'legal downloads' all in the one place, I would be happy. So would my renters if it was cheaper.

Are Google boxes or Logitch Reviews easy to get and set up and where to get a cheap one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

All FTA channels on satellite bar a small few?? Why on God's earth would anyone subscribe to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Manc-Red wrote: »
    All FTA channels on satellite bar a small few?? Why on God's earth would anyone subscribe to this?

People like the OP whom want to watch on thier "galaxy s2"

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

People like the OP whom want to watch on thier "galaxy s2"

Why not use FilmOn on Android. Its free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Passenger

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Why not use FilmOn on Android. Its free!

It won't last, they've just paid out to American Networks and it won't end there.

Also I like having the Irish channels.

On the satellite front, not really interested in hooking up my flim flam to a wotsit and then routing my spatchcock through Klarge 2.0 so I checked this out. You buy the box for €99 and it's yours. I think I'll get this and Netflix for less than I'm paying and I can project the Champion's League games on to my wall!

Luckily I'm out of contract but beware the UPC cancellation fee! http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/270/~/cancellation-fee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

I have just signed up to this ibox rubbish the picture quality is awful i mean jesus how have they charged for this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

There are other alternatives if you look around. No need to pay for something which is freely available. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

coldfire1x wrote: »
    There are other alternatives if you look around. No need to pay for something which is freely available. ;)

I know i have an M8 box i just wanted a stream that was solid but RTE is so crap you cant get that even if you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

No HD. No record facility. Might suit some. There's also this freebie.

http://www.filmon.com/tv/live

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

I signed up to Ibox tv a month ago. Paying for the basic package at 3 Euro per month. You get 10 channels. The picture quality is quiet good. It loads quickly. It has programme replay going back nearly a week and it also supports Chromecast which is brilliant. Overall the service is reliable. Like all internet tv services it depends on your own internet speed.I have 13 megabytes here.

Advertisement