Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Chapo: Mexican Drug Lord Billionaire 'Shot Dead'

• 22-02-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

The world's most powerful drug lord, Joaquín 'El Chapo' Guzman, has been killed in a gun battle between drug gangs, Guatemalan authorities suspect.
    The 58-year-old head of the Sinaloa cartel is thought to have been among the bodies left after the shoot-out in a remote rural area of Peten, in Guatemala.
    He has been the most powerful drug lord since his rival was captured in 2003 and since 2009 has been named every year by Forbes as one of the world’s most powerful people with an estimated fortune of $1bn.

They usually all end up the same way.Escobar was the same. Greed or plain dumb?.
    You would think if you had a Billion dollars ,you would be smart enough to get out before its too late , and emigrate somewhere with no extradition.

Guzman convened a meeting..........discussed killing Rodolfo Carrillo Fuentes, who was in charge of the Juárez Cartel.........Rodolfo and his wife were killed.
    With this act, Guzmán was the first to break the nonaggression "pact" the major cartels had agreed to, setting in motion the fighting between cartels for drug routes that has claimed more than 50,000 lives since December 2006

Probably thousands more wll die in this new power vacuum.But hopefully not.

http://news.sky.com/story/1055480/el-chapo-mexican-drug-lord-shot-dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really hope El Chapo translates as 'The Chap'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Translates more or less as Shortie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Awww. I had this great image of a Mexican gangster who dresses like and has all the affectations of an English gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I thought "El Chapo" was only a fancy name given to the bad guy in gangster movies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The 'war' on drugs people has been such a catastrophic failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is his surname pronouced like the way Ironman's is, GuzMan, or is it rolled together so sounds like guzmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

What was he doing in a gun battle?

Talk about micromanagement hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

RIP El Champo...you will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Most bosses don't leave because it's their life, they enjoy wielding power and terror. I imagine it stops being about the money eventually. It's life on the edge and it must be exhilarating for some. At the end of it all though it usually won't end sweet, deep down they must know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Wonder if they'd give me the drugs he's left behind, even a quarter of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,125 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You don't find those Glaxo Smith Kline drug-lords getting involved in shoot outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Wonder if they'd give me the drugs he's left behind, even a quarter of them.

I'll take 1% of his money ,if no one else wants it.:)

Thats if they can find it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

He has been in hiding since escaping from a Mexican prison in a laundry cart in 2001.

laughed at this!

It's rare that I say this - but I've no sympathy for him. When you read what some of those cartels have been responsible for in Mexico.. it makes you wonder how we're even the same species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One thing about Mexican gangs is that they like to mix it up when killing / torturing each other.

If it's not beheading with a chainsaw or chopping many people up to pieces at once and stuffing their bits into vans, then it's skinning the heads in one piece so they have a fancy mask to leave hanging on a pole.

Those wacky criminals, whatever will they get up to next....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's rare that I say this - but I've no sympathy for him. When you read what some of those cartels have been responsible for in Mexico.. it makes you wonder how we're even the same species.

You couldn't have sympathy for him, you live by the sword you die by the sword, he chose the life and knew the potential consequences. Mexico is a basket case, the power struggle to determine his successor will see more blood. It's a vicious cycle and it's going to continue for the foreseeable future imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They usually all end up the same way.Escobar was the same. Greed or plain dumb?.
    You would think if you had a Billion dollars ,you would be smart enough to get out before its too late , and emigrate somewhere with no extradition.

sure Walter White only wanted 700 grand, look how that turned out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Translates more or less as Shortie

Say hello to my little fwiend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kindest hello Sir.

My name is Pablo 'El Chico' Guzman, dearest nephew of the beloved El Chapo. I have found your name on the internet when I prayed to God for a trustworthy and most esteemed person to help me.

We mourn El Chapo and his death every day. But now the Mexican governmente put more of his bank accounts in the freezer. Please to be helping me transfer the money from the loyal bank here before the governmente or the other cartels come and take it.

In exchange for your loyal and trustworthy support we will give you 3% of his most esteemed fortune.

Scammingly Sincerely,

Pablo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

markie29 wrote: »
    He has been in hiding since escaping from a Mexican prison in a laundry cart in 2001.

laughed at this!

Looks like he bought the prison before he left.
    The police say Guzmán carefully masterminded his escape plan, wielding influence over almost everyone in the prison, including the facility's director. He allegedly had the prison guards on his payroll, smuggled contraband into the prison and received preferential treatment from the staff. In addition to the prison-employee accomplices, police in Jalisco were paid off to ensure he had at least 24 hours to get out of the state and stay ahead of the military manhunt. The story told to the guards being bribed was that Joaquín Guzmán was smuggling gold out of the prison, ostensibly extracted from rock at the inmate workshop. The escape allegedly cost Joaquín $2.5 million

Thats the problem.A lot of Mexicans are poor and with the crazy sums of money involved they can buy most people .And those they can't,who are brave enough to stand up them they kill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have heard that our Ming is deeply upset...

Joke joke joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

antodeco wrote: »
    Is his surname pronouced like the way Ironman's is, GuzMan, or is it rolled together so sounds like guzmin

guss-MAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

goose2005 wrote: »

guss-MAN

I'm getting images of Wind Man from Mega Man 6

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

markie29 wrote: »

laughed at this!
    Looks like he bought the prison before he left. ....

Should have stayed there and run the operation from inside like the irish lads do. A hell of a lot safer. Especially when you own the joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

:(:( lyk dis if u cryd evritym

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Good stuff. Hope it was slow and painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭enricoh

a lad down the pub said he doesnt give a f@{k who kills who as long as the price of his coke n weed doesnt go up as a result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Not confirmed just yet...
    Backing down from the previous day’s assertions, Lopez apologized for the frenzy of speculation that Guzman was killed in Thursday’s incident, saying it was based in part on mistaken information and an unconfirmed report of a physical resemblance between one body and the fugitive drug lord.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-guatemala-shootout-guzman-20130222,0,2471988.story

though we live in hope the scum lord is dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

They said this guy was worth over a billion, guess he was a tight ass when it came to paying for his personal security.

Anyway, the world is a better place without him, pity he will be replaced by someone just as bad if not worse.

Advertisement