Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Scam - Cold Calls

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Scruffles wrote: »
    dad only uses his ubuntu partition now and he got phoned by them once,he said he was a indian guy with poor english called dave.
    he kept the guy on the phone for ages,pretending to be trying to find the event window/system logs,it pissed the guy off more and more as he tried to get dad to check out the logs, eventualy he told the guy he worked out the problem; he hadnt turned the computer on nor did he use windows anymore,good old dads computer illiteracy won through in the end and desperate dave hung up.

I love this reply, my Mom would be the same (she uses the same OS), as for the spell checkers, give it a rest, it not as if you didn't understand the guy (and you really are making yourselfs look like gob****es)

Luckily enough I've never experienced the phone call, but I generally won't give out it (my phone number) to sites I don't trust, eg hotmail/gmail/facebook they all ask for your mobile number, I reckon that is where they get your numbers from. (maybe not, who knows):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Never had a call but had great crack reading this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I have a Mac, but sometimes I also have a lot of time on my hands. Last year a nice lady with an Indian accent called me saying she was from Microsoft Security Centre (or somesuch) and that my system software had been compromised.

I just chatted along happily - I was really bored - and pretended to follow her instructions. In between, I managed to start a monologue about what I was doing that day, what it reminded me about times past etc.

After 40 minutes, I was still digressing into infinity and the woman was sounding weary and desperate to get off the phone. Eventually she mumbled "I have to go now" and I was still asking her what to do next on my fictional Windows computer. I never did get tell her about my 12th birthday party.

That's great - i do something similar with them - it's like a don't get mad get even scenario :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saintlysinner

Had the same call just yesterday, thankfully was clued up enough to know it was a scam although dialling code and number were a bit of a give away 001234567890.....when i was informed there was a problem with my windows, i advised the wonderfully kind Indian lady, i was hoping there was no real damage done, as i had just had them all replaced with double glazing....and did she think that an anti-virus would protect my windows in the future, as i was now slightly concerned about viruses or corrupted files, hitting my new windows and causing un-told damages!! needless to say they hung up :)

Advertisement