Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many roads that have a speed limit of 120kmph but are NOT motorway?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭

Are there many roads in the state that have a speed limit of 120kmph but are not motorway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

N2 at Ashbourne is the only one I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

N25 between Carrigtohill and Dunkettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1 ting don't get is motorway use to mean 70 mph around 115km/h

They then round it up to 75mph 120km/h then lower most to 100km/h so really these are now just dualers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

N25 between Carrigtohill and Dunkettle.

That's the piece of road that made me ask the question.

I thought 120km meant it had to be a motorway until I drove on this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

In ~2005 speed limits were changed from imperial (miles) to metric (kilometres)

The changes were:
    Motorways, general limit changed from 70MPH to 120kph (75MPH).
    National roads, including non-Motorway dual carriageways, 60MPH to 100kph (62MPH).
    Regional and Local roards, 60MPH to 80kph (50MPH).
    Urban roads 30MPH to 50kph (~30MPH)

Incidentally, there is also the section of N1 between J18 and the border that is dual carriageway at 120kph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Roryhy wrote: »
    N2 at Ashbourne is the only one I can think of.

That's 100k per hour until it becomes the M2, i.e. when it goes from 3 to 2 lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

That's the piece of road that made me ask the question.

I thought 120km meant it had to be a motorway until I drove on this road.

I also thought you must have a hard shoulder at this speed too in case someone has a breakdown but on the N25 between Little Island and the exit for the tunnel there is no hard shoulder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They then round it up to 75mph 120km/h then lower most to 100km/h so really these are now just dualers

Virtually all motorway is 120...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MYOB wrote: »
    Virtually all motorway is 120...

Legally, not the M50.
    2 sections of the M6 also go down to 100km/h while changing to N6, the ever loved Athlone bypass and the last section between J19 and the Coolagh Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Ballincollig bypass also has a speed limit of 120kph.

The only requirement of a dual carriageway being allowed a 120kph speed limit is that it is HQDC (ie, that it is up to motorway standard). However, for various reason, these sections of HQDC have not been upgraded to motorway standard.

In the case of the Ballincollig bypass and Cork - Carrigtowhill its because they are relatively short sections and as such, the NRA felt there was no point upgrading to motorway.

I'd expect that both could well be upgraded to motorway once the HQDC sections have been built to Youghal and Macroom respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    Legally, not the M50.
    2 sections of the M6 also go down to 100km/h while changing to N6, the ever loved Athlone bypass and the last section between J19 and the Coolagh Roundabout.

That's why I said virtually all. There are 120 sections of the m50 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

N1 north of Dundalk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I also thought you must have a hard shoulder at this speed too in case someone has a breakdown but on the N25 between Little Island and the exit for the tunnel there is no hard shoulder.

But doesn't the speed reduce to 100 kmh at Little Island when you are city bound?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Also, while on the subject, The M1 from Airport J2 to the Lusk exit J4 (North & South bound) is the only 3 lane motorway with a speed limit if 120 km/h that I am aware of, all others (M50 + any more 3 lane motorway) are only 100 km/h.

Anybody know of any other 3 lame motorway with the maximum limit of 120 km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

the section of the M1 -> N1 before the border and the end of the M3 -> N3 as you come by Blanchardstown change down to National roads, but are signed at 120kmph. I often wondered could a cop do you for a speed of say 110kmph on those sections? I go by the signs rather than the road grade so I doubt it.

The Athlone bypass downgrades to a N road for its duration so is limited to 100kmph there.

Is the M50 north of Bray, 3 lanes with a 120 limit for a few junctions?

paulbok wrote: »
    I often wondered could a cop do you for a speed of say 110kmph on those sections? I go by the signs rather than the road grade so I doubt it.

No, because the limit is 120...

Since metrification all limits in Ireland are signed, not by road-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

But doesn't the speed reduce to 100 kmh at Little Island when you are city bound?

It reduces to 100kph closer to the tunnel exit slip roads but not at little island, hard shoulder is missing for maybe a mile so. always thought it was strange

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

paulbok wrote: »

Is the M50 north of Bray, 3 lanes with a 120 limit for a few junctions?

only between J5 (M11) and J17 (M50) where the M11 splits off - its a very short stretch and the inside lane is just for merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Some of the M50 is 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This seems a bit confused. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Marcusm wrote: »

Where?

Stheno wrote: »
    Where?

Port tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stheno wrote: »
    Where?
    Port tunnel from toll plaza to Clonshaugh.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/124?lon=-6.25725&lat=53.37499&zoom=10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Marcusm wrote: »

Some is 50 kmh too, At the M1 junction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Some is 50 kmh too, At the M1 junction

Some 30. At N4 M50 south junctions in the tighter sections

Advertisement