Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Size Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

I have a Defy and the sizing was a M. I'm 31-32 inside leg. Think it's the right fit (i.e. not too big) if you can stand with your feet flat and the crossbar just is just touching your crotch. If the crossbar is lifting you off the ground it's too big. Best way is to try in the LBS before ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

lissard wrote: »
    I have a Defy and the sizing was a M. I'm 31-32 inside leg. Think it's the right fit (i.e. not too big) if you can stand with your feet flat and the crossbar just is just touching your crotch. If the crossbar is lifting you off the ground it's too big. Best way is to try in the LBS before ordering.

Not a great way to be honest. A lot of Giant frames use compact geometry. I'm pretty sure I can stand over a L without the top tube hitting me, but I'd ride an M.

The sizing guide is normally spot on. If you are on the border, it's quite simple, as the compact frame means you can alter the size to suit you through seatpost and stem combos:

The medium would require a longer stem (probably, you will know if the reach is too short) and raising the saddle. More drop from saddle to bars, i.e. more aggressive position.

The Large will have less drop and be a bit easier depending on flexibility.

Changing stem lengths will alter handling.

There are a lot of caveats here, it's really up to the shop to advise you. If you are an experienced cyclist then you will know your ideal "fit" and how much drop you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I have a defy3 and the sizing is spot on for me.im 185cm tall with an inside leg 0f 92cm,im all legs and the large size was a good fit,i have recently got a canyon and the same geometry is a size xl in there bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Three guys in club on propels and they all went down a bike size when moving from TCRs tp propels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

shaka wrote: »
    Three guys in club on propels and they all went down a bike size when moving from TCRs tp propels

Any idea why? To me it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, Giant themselves even use the same size guide for the two frames.

Here are the geometry charts for the M:

SIZE | HEAD ANGLE | SEAT ANGLE | TOP TUBE | REACH |HEAD TUBE | STACK CHAIN STAY | WHEEL BASE | STANDOVER HEIGHT

TCR: M/50.0 73.0 73.0 55.5 38.6 15.0 55.2 40.5 98.0 30.1

Propel:M/52.0 73.0 73.0 55.5 N/A 15.0 N/A 40.5 98.0 31.1

The only difference is the sloping tube of the TCR makes the standover height and seat tube length a little less, but this shouldn't affect anything when you are on the bike.

Are you sure all 3 didn't do it just to get more aggressive positions? I wouldn't really be telling everyone buying a Propel that they should size down as a rule of thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've a medium TCR - strictly speaking slightly too big. I'm 5 foot 6. IIRC the small frame couldn't take two bottles which was important to me.

I find it very comfortable. I have the handlebars down low (one spacer) and there's plenty of range on the saddle position to give me a comfortable drop from saddle to handlebars ; obviously there's more than enough drop available if I was able to adopt a more aggressive position. Reach is fine with the stem that came on it (can't recall length). I did try it out in the bike shop and both myself and the salesman were happy with the fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Any idea why? To me it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, Giant themselves even use the same size guide for the two frames.

They all felt they were stretched out on propel, those measurements are interesting.

I can't compare TCRs myself but I'm M/L on a defy advanced but felt stretched on M propel .

Advertisement