Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround Sound to Ext advice

Options
  • 29-03-2011 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, please excuse any part of my post which doesn't make sense as I haven't really got a clue what I'm talking about, but here goes:

I've had a Philips HTS3100 home cinema system for a few years now. I got a new Samsung tv at the weekend, and was hoping to be able to play external devices such as the PS3 and XBox with surround sound. Problem is, the DVD only has two connections at the back, the red/white audio and Scart.

I've tried a few different cables such as a red/White to the red/White on the television, and also the red/white on the component cable connection on the television. I've also tried using the headphone jack on the tv to the red/white audio on the DVD.

The closest I've gotten is being able to play the television on the surround sound, but only the television analogue stations. If I switch to an external device such as the ps3, 360 or freesat, the surround sound still plays the last television station audio. On the surround sound remote, there is a Disc, Antenna, TV and Aux/Di buttons. I can play the tv with the TV button, but Aux doesn't do anything at all.

I've also tried messing around with the settings on the ps3 (not too fussed about the 360 as I play a lot of Blurays on the ps3) but to no avail.

At this stage, I'm considering just getting a new surround sound system anyway as this one Is a good few years old at this point. Just wondering what my options are or if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Okay, after discussing this with a friend, I think I've been going about this all wrong. Should I be connecting the PS3 to the DVD system directly, through the AV connection on the PS3 to the red/white audio connection on the DVD? I know this wouldn't work for the freesat or 360, but I'd be happy enough with the PS3 for now anyway.

I know on the PS3 you can have the picture going through the HDMI cable but select a different output for the audio, including AV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Page 16 here covers what you can do. You just need to match up what you can do now with the devices you want to connect.

An AV receiver would make your life easier. :)

Advertisement