Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PASSPORTS - EMIGRATION TO USA 1951/52

Options
  • 21-10-2014 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am looking for any information on the process an Irish Citizen went through to come to the USA during 1951-52.
    Was it was common for a 15 year old to emigrate to the US alone during that time?
    ANY information would be appreciated.

Also I have heard that the traveler needed the following:
    An examination by a doctor at the US embassy in Dublin
    Fingerprints at the local police department
    Letter from parish priest stating the traveler's marriage status
    References.

If you can confirm any of the above I would be grateful. Thank you, Heidi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

also - where would you apply for the passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don’t have all the answers for you, but it was common rather than frequent for a 15yr old girl to go to the US on her own in the 1950’s. She would have gone either to relatives (most likely), family friends or to a definite job (e.g. domestic servant/nanny) and would have been met at the dock. I’ve never heard of a medical or fingerprints, but at that time there were Passport offices in Dublin, Cork and probably elsewhere. The letter from the priest on marital status was most likely a ‘better to have it’ item, as should she want to get married in the US after a few years she would have to produce letters from the priests in whose parishes she lived during the previous 10 years.

Advertisement