Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pope John XXII a visionary?

Options
  • 26-12-2007 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Having seen the barrage of adverts for polyphonic ring tones on channels such as MTV, was Pope John XXII ahead of his time in waring about the evils of such music. He denounced polyphony as being the devil’s music.

Do you think god gave him this information to warn our generation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

tuxy wrote: »
    He denounced polyphony as being the devil’s music.

Multi-texture music (more than one "voice") is the devils music?

Wasn't polyphony singing invented by members of the Church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wicknight wrote: »
    Multi-texture music (more than one "voice") is the devils music?

Wasn't polyphony singing invented by members of the Church?
    It would depend entirely on the lyics.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

The pope has many roles. But I think giving opinion and giving teaching are different things. I dont think its an issue for alot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

ryoishin wrote: »
    The pope has many roles. But I think giving opinion and giving teaching are different things. I dont think its an issue for alot of people.

It shouldn't be an issue, of course, but John XXIII was definitely teaching rather than giving an opinion. He actually issued a Papal Bull in 1323 banning polyphonic music - docta sanctorum patrum. In it he raged that the music in churches was "pestered" with semibreves and minims and "depraved" with discant and secular melodies!

So, even by the standard of Papal bulls, this one was certainly a load of bull.

An interesting point (at least interesting to me when I can't sleep early on Boxing Day morning, but maybe not to anyone else) is that Martin Luther, while still a monk and not yet a Reformer, was an ardent fan of Josquin - the most prominent polyphonic composer of his age. Maybe the Reformation was not sparked by doctrine at all? Maybe Luther simply wanted to change the music? ;)

Of course the word polyphonic is used in an entirely different sense from that of John XXIII when it is applied to mobile phones and their ring tones - but things like facts rarely cut much ice with conspiracy theorists because they believe facts are a tool of Satan designed to implement a one world fascist government.

Advertisement