Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oneplus one announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Overheal wrote: »
    I see this flopping, due to a lack of MicroSD

That's no biggie, none of the Nexus have SD. I've a 16GB Nexus 5 and have 3-4 GB free as I use cloud services. Their marketing is working, demand is high.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Don't know about you, but 64GB is loads for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Looks like I DIDNT win an invite, balls... im getting tired of waiting at this stage. Did anyone else here win the right to pay money for a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dowling_04

Anyone win an invite in the races? Seems like preorders have been delayed more than expected...Dont know to wait for this or buy an s4 :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dowling_04 wrote: »
    Anyone win an invite in the races? Seems like preorders have been delayed more than expected...Dont know to wait for this or buy an s4 :(

buy an s4 and then give me your invite when you finally get one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Given the fractional cost difference between the 16GB and 64GB versions I really don't see it being an issue.

See the pre-orders they want to charge the full amount without giving a definite ship date... I find that extraordinarily cheeky for that some of money.

Maybe amazon will price their phone right: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/amazon-phone-release-date-news-and-rumors-1085821

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr.S wrote: »
    Cloud storage. stop living in the past!

32GB really should be the minimum internal storage these days. Cloud storage and microsd have their place, but they're a pain in the ****ing hole when you've a bunch of large apps.

I really couldnt give a rats about storage beyond around 16gig, you just dont need it if you use your phone in the cloud... I mean sync photo's to dropbox or g+, play music from spotify, videos etc.. from plex or netflix etc... just enough room for some apps and im happy,

Mr.S wrote: »
    Cloud storage. stop living in the past!

Not everyone has access to suffiient WiFi/3G services to make cloud a complete replacement to traditional storage.

• Advertisement

Not everyone has access to suffiient WiFi/3G services to make cloud a complete replacement to traditional storage.

Fair enough but do you also need to carry every bit of music you ever could listen to at the same point in time... do you need to keep every photo you ever took on the phone. Do you need to keep every app you ever even thought of installing on the phone even if you never use it?

32gigs is oodles for a phone imo... microsd is a total nonissue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

fionny wrote: »
    Fair enough but do you also need to carry every bit of music you ever could listen to at the same point in time... do you need to keep every photo you ever took on the phone. Do you need to keep every app you ever even thought of installing on the phone even if you never use it?

1. The phone records in 4k which could potentially take up a lot of space.
    2. The phone doesn't come with 32gigs. Only 16 and 64. No way 16 would be enough for anyone using it to take photos and listen to music.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

SteM wrote: »
    1. The phone records in 4k which could potentially take up a lot of space.
    2. The phone doesn't come with 32gigs. Only 16 and 64. No way 16 would be enough for anyone using it to take photos and listen to music.

The phone can record in 4k, personally I'll be using 1080p. Production was stepped up a couple of months ago for the 64GB as they realise most people don't want the 16, that'll just be phased down according to demand. If you really really need more than 64GB you can always use one of those microSD to microUSB adapters.

There were other issues that people were complaining about, like the non removable battery. A more serious issue for Irish users might be the lack of Band 20 for 4g. But you have to ask yourself, can you live with these issues and get a high end phone for half the price of other similar spec well known brands? If not then buy something else, but for me this one's a no-brainer.

Just watching this new video on it now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcgBSjMHLQ

the biggest problem with the oneplus one in my eyes is its not available and not looking to be available for quite some time...

They are stringing along with little to no invites going out compared with demand. Its a great phone on paper IF you can get it... its just a shame that its uber hard to be able to.

Might be sooner than you think...

Blade wrote: »
    Might be sooner than you think...

Unless you know something youre not sharing then I would read that as more stringing along. Id prefer blatant honesty.

They have been feeding false promises since the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Really want one of these but can't see it happening for a while.
    Was thinking 16gb but for the sake of 50 quid or whatever may aswell go for the 64gb.

I assume this will be a parcel motel job when they do become available.

Unless you know something youre not sharing then I would read that as more stringing along. Id prefer blatant honesty.

They have been feeding false promises since the start.

I have been given a time frame but I couldn't say for certain how accurate that will be, so there's no point me giving you dates until I get a more accurate picture. There's 90 odd thousand members on the forums, they'll be sorted first according to their status /activity and length of time on the forums etc. The phones are in Germany (not sure about UK yet) and ready to go but how long it'll take to sort out all the members first is anyone's guess. If I get any information worthwhile sharing, I will.

Cheers,

Ive been a member of the forums a while there but not got a tonne of posts as im not one for spamming like most of the threads on that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭emo72

Blade wrote: »
    I have been given a time frame but I couldn't say for certain how accurate that will be, so there's no point me giving you dates until I get a more accurate picture. There's 90 odd thousand members on the forums, they'll be sorted first according to their status /activity and length of time on the forums etc. The phones are in Germany (not sure about UK yet) and ready to go but how long it'll take to sort out all the members first is anyone's guess. If I get any information worthwhile sharing, I will.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have registered on the forums and made one post. You are kind of suggesting the more activity the more you will be noticed.

• Advertisement

New "Storm" competition gone live for 1 of 2500 invites.:

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/the-storm-of-invites.36887/

emo72 wrote: »
    That's what I'm afraid of. I have registered on the forums and made one post. You are kind of suggesting the more activity the more you will be noticed.

Yes, that basically puts you in the back of the queue, unless you happen to win an invite in one of their competitions or get an invite from someone who's already bought a phone. On the forums you have Admins, mods, well known members, active members and new members etc. Also each has a certain amount of trophy points earned for posts, likes etc. The mods have only just got their invites now and they haven't even started with the others yet as they're still doing competitions (which people are getting sick of). There's a competition just started a few mins ago for 1 of 2,500 invites, but your chances in it are slim :/

In this phone? I agree. With the storage options available and cloud there's no need for micro-SD functionality. However as one of those people who does carry all their music, along with tv/movies anything less than 32GBs ends up feeling snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Won't be any time soon.
    Read there that they modified the CE logo on the back of the phone and it won't clear customs in Germany.
    Be at least 2 weeks before they can correct the issue.

gar wrote: »
    Won't be any time soon.
    Read there that they modified the CE logo on the back of the phone and it won't clear customs in Germany.
    Thank god I'm over in the us on a j1 :D if I was in Ireland I would have given up hope and bought a find 7a and flashed cm onto it

gar wrote: »
    Won't be any time soon.
    Thank god I'm over in the us on a j1 :D if I was in Ireland I would have given up hope and bought a find 7a and flashed cm onto itkomnnh gvvvvvv gun h hhggggg cm gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg v b t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

im getting tired of waiting at this stage. Did anyone else here win the right to pay money for a phone?

On the one hand thats fair,its ridiculous to have to go to so many lengths to part with around €300,on the other, it really is alot cheaper than the (apparently) all-conquering Z2 so I suppose people have to work to earn such a bargain.

And also seeing as everybody else is doing it, I might as well begged for an invite while I'm at it

The Oppo Find 7 has me very tempted... its more expensive but the display is fantastic looking and it doesnt suffer with the yellow screen issue the OPO has or the intolerable invite system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The Oppo Find 7 has me very tempted... its more expensive but the display is fantastic looking and it doesnt suffer with the yellow screen issue the OPO has or the intolerable invite system.

might as well give into temptation i guess

• Advertisement

The yellow screen issue was sorted AFAIK.

Advertisement