Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One M7 Advice

Options
  • 15-04-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I had an issue with my M7, pink photos. I was loathe to bring it in to Three for warranty repair as I can't do without my phone for work and they can't guarantee a smartphone loaner.

Coming near end of contract so I decide to pull the trigger on a OnePlus and revert to sim only to save money when contract is up. Looks like it would save me at least €100 over a 24month contract including the oneplus cost.

Long story short, I got my OnePlus and brought my M7 in for warranty repair as HTC have a 24 month warranty. Picked it up today and they've gone and given me a new handset! Didn't think this was a possibility or i may have held off buying the OnePlus, how and ever...

I was always going to sell the HTC to recoup some of the money spent on the OnePlus; wait until out of contract, get unlocked and sell on Adverts. Now I've a new handset would it make sense to try to sell it still locked to Three as it is minty fresh? (without box or anything, but still with protective covering over the screen etc.), Or will I get more dollar if I wait till out of contract and unlock?

tl;dr: Will I get more money for a new M7 locked to Three now, or a nearly new unlocked M7 in 3 months time?

Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I thought if you have paid off X amount of the contract that they are obliged to give you the unlock code. As you're near the end you should be able to get it.

O2 used to do this before, don't know about 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Keith186 wrote: »
    I thought if you have paid off X amount of the contract that they are obliged to give you the unlock code. As you're near the end you should be able to get it.

O2 used to do this before, don't know about 3 though.

Cheers, will have to check that out, always thought contract had to be up.

Hey, I also had an M7 with three but upgraded to an S6 earlier in the week. I was told last week that if I upgraded they'd give me the unlocking code for the old phone no problem. If you don't upgrade they charge you the remainder of your contract to unlock the phone.

http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=6240,Case=obj%286242%29

Hey, I also had an M7 with three but upgraded to an S6 earlier in the week. I was told last week that if I upgraded they'd give me the unlocking code for the old phone no problem. If you don't upgrade they charge you the remainder of your contract to unlock the phone.

http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=6240,Case=obj%286242%29

Thanks for that, guess I'm best off waiting until I'm out of contract as an unlocked phone will be worth a bit more I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

It may not be brand new just a refurb,they gave me an M8 as they were waiting on parts for mine at the time.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    It may not be brand new just a refurb,they gave me an M8 as they were waiting on parts for mine at the time.

Hmmm, any way to tell? The guy in-store said new handset, it still has the blue protective film over the screen. Only packaging it came in was a plastic bag that said 'swap phone' on it, no other details.

dubmess wrote: »
    Hmmm, any way to tell? The guy in-store said new handset, it still has the blue protective film over the screen. Only packaging it came in was a plastic bag that said 'swap phone' on it, no other details.

You might still get about €150 second hand for it even if it's locked to Three. Having worked in phone retail for many years I can pretty much guarantee it's a refurb.

You might still get about €150 second hand for it even if it's locked to Three. Having worked in phone retail for many years I can pretty much guarantee it's a refurb.

Great stuff, thanks for the help!

dubmess wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks for the help!

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Quick questiom for OP, how long did it take to get your handset back from Three? Left mine in last Thursday and have heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Are you sure its locked.. I had a replacement M7 from HTC a few months back and it was received unlocked.. Was via meteor but looks like it was sealed from HTC them selves so not touched by meteor.

Maybe three are different.

Are you sure its locked.. I had a replacement M7 from HTC a few months back and it was received unlocked.. Was via meteor but looks like it was sealed from HTC them selves so not touched by meteor.

Maybe three are different.

I may just check that out, I'm guessing the phone came from HTC not Three so there is a chance alright. I'll get a mate's sim and see if it works. Thanks for the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

I know someone who would bite the hand off you for that phone - and they are with three :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Figured I'd post in hear to save making a new thread.

The mics on my HTC One seems to have stopped working, people can barely hear me but I can hear an echo of myself. Anyone have any idea whats wrong and if it could be fixed? It only seems to have happened after I was taking dust out of the charging port the other night, is it possible some dust just went into the mic hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

The mic stopped working on mine,people couldn't hear me so had to send it back and ended up getting an M8 as a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Seems it was just dust. Combo of compressed air and vacuuming the bottom seems to have fixed the problem.

Advertisement