Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for a first time driver

Options
  • 25-04-2015 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a car for my other half, she can drive but doesn't have much experience and would prefer she drove something small that will make parking easier.

I will also drive the car myself a little so would like something with a little bit of power. Something around 110BHP would probably suffice.

Would also like low tax with good fuel economy. Needs to be reliable and low maintenance.

Budget is around 5-7k, would pay more if it was a very good deal.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I drive a 1 litre opel corsa. 2005 cost €3750 in 2013 , Road tax €199. My 1st year insurance was €1235 then 2nd year after I did driving ignition with Aviva it was lowered to €650. It is very economically and well worth it , I'm male aged 23 in 2013

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Petrol or daysul op?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

If u can get a small r medium size car with PARKING SENSORS - POLO R FORD FOCUS.

With Pk Sensors it will assist her park d car & becas of d warning sound will help her confidence & prevent stupid knock which will damage ur car & others & will cost u.

The Smallest dent in a car (even when opening a door) will cost u €300.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Petrol or daysul op?

Don't really mind to be honest, as long as the fuel economy is reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

A Glanza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe think about a hatchback; when I started driving the biggest problem was turn-reversing into parking spaces (which we have to do a lot in Ireland because we park in straight lines rather than diagonally). My first car was effectively a hatchback, which made it much easier to judge where I was backing, because there wasn't an extra 40cm sticking out the back that I couldn't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Fiat Panda? They're not really quick but they're cheap on fuel and tax and very easy to park. Save the rest of your money till she has more driving confidence and more NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few regular small cars will have 100bhp or more. You would have to consider the segment above like a Golf, Focus, etc to get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

When I switched from what my Spanish student guests called "La Meeecra" to a Toyota Corolla I felt a lot safer: the extra vooom in the engine got me past many a truck-that-speeded-up-as-I-passed on the motorways. So maybe go for a strong engine (but a hatchback shape).

Advertisement