Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which netgear wirless router to get: g or n?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Am I better of getting a netgear wireless g router for a netgear wireless g usb adapter that’s plugged into the back of my pc….
    Or should I get a netgear wireless n router instead???
    Basically I will be using the pc for downloading music/watching movies on stream etc….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

N is backwards compatible with G, so it will work. However, it is also future-proof, if you ever get an N laptop you'll benefit from the faster speeds.

Of course, you won't be able to download from the internet any faster than your ISP provides, regardless of if you're using G or N. I would get N if you plan on ever transferring files or watching video inside your network, G otherwise.

(Get an N, they're not that much more expensive, and you're futureproof then!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Internet isnt as fast as N or frankly G by a long shot yet. But when doing LAN (like streaming music/HD Movies to your xbox or something) it can be handy to have a higher bandwidth connection. Thats what N would offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

i have a Belkin N Wireless Router it works great, but can go off suddenly sometime which can a hassle...stick with G unless you game online alot or buffer movies or tv shows...N still is expensive enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

i saw these routers on komplett.ie
    which would ye recommend
    NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless N150 router (40e)..speed 150mbps
    NETGEAR WNR2000 RangeMax Wireless-N (47e) speed 300mbps

would either of these ok for watching movies online..youtube.ie..downloading

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

thebourke wrote: »
    i saw these routers on komplett.ie
    which would ye recommend
    NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless N150 router (40e)..speed 150mbps
    NETGEAR WNR2000 RangeMax Wireless-N (47e) speed 300mbps

would either of these ok for watching movies online..youtube.ie..downloading

Saw those, they are good deals and would be a great deal more than ok for all of the above :pac: (Wireless G is only 54Mbps and is well up to the job). For the sake of 7 euro I would go for the wireless-N 300 Mbps option.

You will need a wireless N card for each device to make use of 300 MBps speeds (A wireless G device attached to an N router can only attach to the network at 54Mbps max)

Normally I would say get the G router but if there is not much difference in the prices, there is no harm in futureproofing I suppose.

Also it is worth bearing in mind that even a wireless G network is probably somewhere between 5-20X faster than your broadband connection, so N would not make much difference from a downloading point of view if there are only one or two devices attached. Where it really comes into it own is if you have alot of devices streaming across the network at the same time (media streamers, xbox, itouch, network storage devices etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

of course, the IEEE is already in the process of planning out the new wireless standard, which promises to put a gigabit wireless signal in your home. It'll be like running Cat5e cables everywhere: and yet, running them Nowhere. They would be redundant as ****.

http://gizmodo.com/5421067/we-should-have-1gbps-wi+fi-by-2012

Of course, 802.11ac routers will likely not be available to average consumers until well into 2013. Get on the N! :p

Advertisement