Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Recommendations For UseNet Providers \ Clientside Software:

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

As the title of my thread indicates I am looking for people's recommendations
    with regards to access to the usenet newsgroups.

Judging from some of the replies to this thread -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392016 it would appear that Astraweb might be a good choice - is that correct?

Another consideration I have is the client-side software to un-rar, repair,etc.
    Ease of use plus automation would be a big factor here - what would you recommend?

A friend of mine is using UseNeXt - http://www.usenext.com/ - and whilst the UseNext client does get the job done, it doesn't seem to be the most user-friendly of applications and is one of the reasons I have never bothered with Usenet up to now.

If I understand things correctly I shouldn't be tied in to using the default client application that the access provider provides.

If people could reply with a few screenshots so that I'd get an idea of what your using that would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

The Th!ng

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Grabit seems to be the nicest IMO. I don't use it fulltime myself as I've a download box at home I run my downloads on using torrentflux-b4rt (does everything), but I have used it on my mams pc and dedicated server and its quite good. Does the parity and unraring.

I'm with usenetserver.com paid $95 for 1yr, see my old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm using Astraweb since September so qualify as very inexperienced. But so far I've no complaints. I also use SABnzbd for unrarring/repairing etc. For freeware it's the best I've come across. With Astraweb I got the unlimited deal for $96 a year. It should still be available if you e-mail them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I use astraweb for my provider and the unpronounceable sabnzbd for clientside software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Another vote for Astraweb + sabnzbd + newzbin

Without a doubt, the best combo for usenet downloading

http://www.astraweb.com
    http://www.newzbin.com
    http://forums.sabnzbd.org/

Have a read up about all three and even better if you get an invite to newzbin they are having their annual halfprice sale until 31st december (~£7.50 for a years access)

I have 5 invites for Newzbin if anyones needing, pm ur emails. Newzbins not free so only peeps willing to signup and pay Newzbin ask.

I've given loads of invites, it seems to refill up to 5 within a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

It looks like Astraweb in conjunction with sabnzbd and newzbin would be the way to go. But what about free *.nzb sites like http://www.nzbindex.nl/ - what does newzbin have that they don't?

I installed sabnzbd earlier to get a feel for it and I have to say that I'm impressed - seems to be a much more user-friendly app than what I've seen before.

It indexes them beautifully, much easier find things. Its also got bookmarks which You can set it SABnzbd to scan for, say, once every 15 minutes. Then as you bookmark stuff on newzbin (simply by clicking the bookmark icon for the media you want when you search) it will automatically download it for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Another good thing about newzbin is that if there is something wrong with the upload then someone usually comments to say what is wrong (passworded, hardcoded subs etc). This has saved me wasting time downloading something useless. Well worth it.

Another good thing about newzbin is that if there is something wrong with the upload then someone usually comments to say what is wrong (passworded, hardcoded subs etc). This has saved me wasting time downloading something useless. Well worth it.

Not to mention avoiding the downright dangerous. Anything with malware etc. is normally well signposted by those who went before you.

Not to mention avoiding the downright dangerous. Anything with malware etc. is normally well signposted by those who went before you.
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have 5 invites for Newzbin if anyones needing, pm ur emails. Newzbins not free so only peeps willing to signup and pay Newzbin ask.

I've given loads of invites, it seems to refill up to 5 within a few days.

Any chance of one of those invites?

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Any chance of one of those invites?

Course, pm ur email

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Course, pm ur email

Sent, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

If there are any newzbin invites on offer I could do with one

Pm your email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Got it,

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Newzbins not free

What's the damage?

Over the christmas period, you can get a 52 week subscription for £7.80. 8 weeks is the minimum subscription period..thats £1.20. Prices in sterling and they don't take Paypal.
    Thats the downside but in my opinion, it saves a lot of trouble especially if used with sabNZBD.

Advertisement