Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening - location for school?

Options
  • 06-02-2016 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just looking for people's experience in getting their kids baptised/christened with regards the primary school they hope to send their kids to.

Can I organise a christening in any church or should it be close to the school they will hopefully attend when they are 4yrs old?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do not quite understand your question.
    Are you getting your child christened because you are catholic or are you baptising them because it is part of your local schools enrollment policy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you getting your child christened because you are catholic or are you baptising them because it is part of your local schools enrollment policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Moonbeam wrote: »

That distinction doesn't matter... (It's not my child) but the child is getting christened either way. I'm just wondering would it be better to get her christened close to the school she'll be going to? The mother lives far away from the school but Monday to Friday she'll be with her grandparents beside the school, so would getting her Christened close to the school improve the chances of going to that school?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Don't think it makes zero difference. What is important is the address used in relation to the catchment area for the school

I understand you now. It makes no difference at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hi all.

Just looking for people's experience in getting their kids baptised/christened with regards the primary school they hope to send their kids to.

Can I organise a christening in any church or should it be close to the school they will hopefully attend when they are 4yrs old?

Thanks!
    Surely you would choose your own parish church?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Surely you would choose your own parish church?

Thanks all.

The child is going to school closest to the grandparents, so I just wanted to know would have the christening miles away closest to the parent make a difference (in people's experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Just make sure that the school will take the child. In our school the parents and child obviously, must be resident within the catchment area. Parents are asked to bring a utility bill with them as proof of address. Granny's house is not sufficient for enrolment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

i think you would do best to ring the school to see if there is a catchment area, many schools don't use have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks all.

The child is going to school closest to the grandparents, so I just wanted to know would have the christening miles away closest to the parent make a difference (in people's experience).

What is the school's enrolment policy?
    That will answer your questions very clearly. In my experience in Cork city, very few of them take religion into account at all. It seems to be specific schools in Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement