Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should this be slow?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Was given a brand new Asus laptop for my birthday the other day and it came with 30 days free McAfee (I have used McAfee before; a few years ago).

Is it normal for McAfee to slow down a computer if it's scanning or updating?
    I remember it was slow on my last PC, but I figured because my old PC was ancient, that was another factor.

However, this laptop is only a few days old and McAfee seems to be really slowing it.

When the 30 days is up, I'm going to buy another antivirus software; what would you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Malwarebytes with Windows Security is generally fairly good, run a Malwarebytes and an ADWCleaner scan every so often, or buy malwarebytes for Real Time protection.

And Antivirus scans can eat up a lot of CPU power, so its likely the cause, I'd just shift it now in your shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

If it was me I would take out McAfee (You are going to have fun trying to get rid of it ). Download the removal tool.

I find Avast free and Malwarebytes all I need, never had a problem using them.

You should also check for bundled software that came preinstalled you may not need it and remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wouldn't touch McAfee with a barge pole these days to be honest with you.

As the last person was saying, Malwarebytes with Windows Defender is more than enough protection these days. Malware is much more of a threat now than actual viruses - run a free Malwarebytes scan once every few weeks, and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

we use MacAfee in work and you can always tell it is Thursday as that is when it runs its scans and everything slows

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

they say run your anti virus in safe mode and just leave it till it finishes now if it has any truth in it i don't know as i never tried it, virus scans eat up alot of the cpu and with today's operating systems being high CPU eaters everything will slow down and be sluggish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement