Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will this cost me money

Options
  • 04-05-2015 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

this morning I got an error message on my laptop.

Download and install the driver for your VMware VMCI Bus Device
    Your VMware VMCI Bus Device is missing a driver.

Steps are available for solving this problem.

Tap or click to go online to the VMware, Inc website for more info and support optionsTap or click to go online to the VMware, Inc website for more info and support options

is this legit and is it costly. Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

gubby wrote: »

Tap or click to go online to the VMware, Inc website for more info and support optionsTap or click to go online to the VMware, Inc website for more info and support options

Do you have any VMware software installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That would only concern you if you have VMware installed.
    Have you owned computer from new? Do you have VMware?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's highly unlikely to be legit. VMWare as far as I know doesn't involve any h/w so should not need special drivers.

It's never a good idea to click on a message that pops up all of a sudden, it's more likely to be a virus that will disable your machine followed by a demand for payment to the scammers.

I'd check my antivirus s/w was up to date, then disconnect from the internet and do a full antivirus scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

coylemj wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely to be legit. VMWare as far as I know doesn't involve any h/w so should not need special drivers.

It's never a good idea to click on a message that pops up all of a sudden, it's more likely to be a virus that will disable your machine followed by a demand for payment to the scammers.

I'd check my antivirus s/w was up to date, then disconnect from the internet and do a full antivirus scan.

That bus device is usually for a host to talk to the hyper-visor. It's too specific to be a "virus" or malware. I'd be interested to know why its on the machine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭what?

Sounds doge...

If you don't know you are running VMware I'd say your not.

This look like it?
    Cant post links, google VMware KB 1023129

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

what are you running on your laptop? specifically anything VMware you have installed?

I am assuming workstation and its vm tools issue. But you say your laptop, is this on the client machine as in your physical laptop
    or is this showing up on a VM running from workstation?

Advertisement