Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCIex1 and graphics cards

Options
  • 19-06-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Right so, Im not really much of a gamer but I fancied playing the new cities: skylines game on my desktop. I knew the intel integrated graphics wouldnt cut it so went out and bought an nvidia gt 730 and a 500w psu. Now the stupid fool that I am didnt check what kind of PCI slot I had and unfortunately is the x1 type while the graphics card is x8.

Several hundred curse words later I had a look around on the internet for an adapter and came across this:http://www.dabs.ie/products/startech-com-pci-express-to-pci-adapter-card-67CM.html
    Now to someone who knows their stuff, would this work? is there any point in me buying this? should i just return the card for a refund? would the proformance dropoff be make the game unable to run on my system reguardless?

Dont know if its relevant but the processor is an AMD Atahlon 2x2 245 with 8 Gigs of ram. Also I really dont want to change the motherboard, i figure if i cant adapt it ill probably pick up a new computer sometime next year (and do my research this time!)
    All advise welcome, thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

That adapter is for PCI rather than PCI Express, so it won't work. Even if there was an adapter, the memory bandwidth of the card will be limited to x1 speeds, which will result in a significant performance reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Now that I think about it, that card is pretty low end and might not bottleneck on an x1 slot. Or if it does it mightn't be too big of a bottleneck. They seem to make an x1 version of the 730 anyway.

No harm in trying with the above adapter I suppose, although with an adapter you're going to have to get creative when it comes to securing the card in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

If it wouldn't affect it too much I could give it a shot sure!

Edit:thanks maki had a look on dabs and they do one in PCI 1 so I'll see thell exchange it for me and save me getting out the cement and bailing twine.

Advertisement