Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 32 bit Windows 98 games on Windows 7 (64 Bit)

Options
  • 25-05-2015 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I have an old game from 1998 that worked in Win 98 ((32 bit mode) I currently have Windows 7 64 Bit mode. I tried running in compatibility mode but it still says that there is an issue with the bit, if I get a virtual machine from oracle virtualbox will it resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Do you need a bootable version of Windows NT / 98 or an IOS for this to work?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you need a bootable version of Windows NT / 98 or an IOS for this to work?

Not at all. DOSBox is a Windows native application that emulates MSDos.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

gog.com might be another option if you can't get it to run.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I am trying to get the programme to run.

I have two problems.

The game is Microsoft Encarta 1998 to be specific. It comes in two discs, DosBox will let me mount the disc and the drive where I have the folder for it, but when I put the setup command into dosbox it says "this program requires Microsoft Windows".

Any suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Go to the Encarta program filder and right click on the Encarta program file - probably encarta.exe

Choose Properties and then click the Compatability tab. Tick that option that says something like "Run this program in compatability mode" and tick Windows 98/ME.

But Windows 7 is 32 bit and Windows 98 is 16 bit, I said this in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Encarta 98 is a Win16 application and makes DirectX API calls, so DOSBox is useless in this case. You simply can't natively run a Win16 application on a 64 bit Windows OS since the resolver for 16-bit system calls (WOW) has been replaced with WoW64, which only supports Win32 calls.

Your only option is to install a 32-bit OS, either physically or in a VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

maki wrote: »
    Encarta 98 is a Win16 application and makes DirectX API calls, so DOSBox is useless in this case. You simply can't natively run a Win16 application on a 64 bit Windows OS since the resolver for 16-bit system calls (WOW) has been replaced with WoW64, which only supports Win32 calls.

Your only option is to install a 32-bit OS, either physically or in a VM.

OP: I have some Win98 install disks with booklet and COA/serial. Going cheap!

I saw this disk for windows 98 on Amazon

http://goo.gl/5MkRpX

Could I just buy it, dual boot it on my Acer (which currently has Windows 7 installed) and then install my old games on the Windows 98 partition.

Can I control how much of the partition is devoted to the Windows 98 or will it automatically be 50:50.

Windows 98 is 16 bit and Windows 7 is 64 bit, can they both be installed on the same machine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement