Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase laptop battery?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I was wondering where is the best place to buy a new battery for a laptop? Do shops do them or must you go direct to the manufacturer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Thanks, was thinking ebay too but was afraid that it could arrive and not work...i see most are based in China so trying to return could be awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Buy it on ebay! You may be in for a learning curve as I bought one on ebay for my sony vaio but the sony mofu have a programme in the computer to disable computer if used a spurious battery. I got over this by downloading a notebook hardware manager free programme and my new battery now gives me 7 hours work time and cost me appx 60e as opposed to the 254e Sony shop quoted me for a lesser barrery

aster99 wrote: »
    Thanks, was thinking ebay too but was afraid that it could arrive and not work...i see most are based in China so trying to return could be awkward

Fear not...

A) Buy from a reputable seller, i.e. one that has loads of positive responses.

B) You will probably find one that ships from the UK, rather than China..

Give us the model of your laptop and will have a look around for you..

What details would i need...seriel numbers, part numbers etc?? Just to make sure i order correct one

• Advertisement

What details would i need...seriel numbers, part numbers etc?? Just to make sure i order correct one

If you actually just do a search by the name of the laptop it should work...

Search like, Sony Vaio XXXX laptop battery (where XXXX is the model of your laptop)

i have a Toshiba M40, it was bought in early 2006. do i need more info?

Great thanks!!!

I just looked at my battery, the number on it is PA3465U-1BRS

Do i need to match this? The link above shows a different part number, does this matter?

• Advertisement

I just looked at my battery, the number on it is PA3465U-1BRS

Do i need to match this? The link above shows a different part number, does this matter?

What is the model type of your M40?.

There should be a sticker on the base of the laptop that will tell you.

It should be M40 - 102, 103 etc etc...

You chance also check Ebay against the model type of the battery though..

PAU3465U

Its M40-313 which is listed as compatable. but just from the photo something doesn' look the same about it

Thanks for all the help Feelgood, the 2nd link looks a better option

That is definitely an M40 313 battery alright in the first link I gave.

Note it may look different with stickers and stuff because its not a genuine Toshiba battery its just a replacement.

You could try pricing one at a local Toshiba supplier or from wherever you bought the laptop either to see what kind of price that they give you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would avoid non-oem batteries like the plague tbh. I know someone who got one recently and it 'swelled' when it got warm, the plastic case literally went bandy and a seam along the side split so you could see the cells inside.

They're seriously dodgy. Just becuase they say 'CE' on them doesnt mean squat, its completely BS. It doesnt matter if they're coming from the UK or directly from Hong Kong, its the same product. 'Reputable seller' means almost nothing on ebay, 99% of people are nitwits anyway, or leave their feedback the minute the item turns up without even checking it.

A li-ion cell stores a huge amount of chemical energy, you really don't want to be messing around with these things, especially if you've got an anyway nice/expensive laptop. Or a nice/expensive house :pac:

I know its tempting to go for the cheap copies, especially because OEM batteries are usually such a rip-off, but I would recommend you stay away from them.

Advertisement